Respected Contributor

Re: A Win for Pharmaceutical Manufacturing

[ Edited ]

My first thought was "Why Kodak?"  I'm taking a wait and see position.

Trusted Contributor

@RhondaRena wrote:

I am so encouraged  more of our pharmaceutical drugs will be manufactured in the US through Kodak. This will help our dependence on China and create more jobs. I find this as wonderful news. 

Good news for our economy.

It will make America great 

Bring back manufacturing and jobs to America and for Americans.

God Bless the U.S.A.   🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

How does anyone know that all the "ingredients" will come from the U.S.? Some are primarily from other countries, including China.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Just another note regarding overseas manufacturing-my glaucoma medicine has been manufactured in Germany and in Ireland. 

It has only been the last two refills that say Made in the USA-but that still doesn't guarantee the ingredients are also made here.

People need to understand that fact.

Let's hope for everyone to have safe and cost-effective meds.  It really says a lot when people are looking (hoping) for failure  instead of thinking about all our fellow citizens who need safer, cost-effective meds.

We need to start be unified and hoping for the best for everyone, no matter who is in charge. 

Says a lot, doesn't it.

It sure does, @Cakers3.  But there will always be those who put their personal political agenda over the well-being of those in need.  Here's to American ingenuity and innovation -- especially when it comes to public health.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

My first thought was "Why Kodak?"  I'm taking a wait and see position.

Kodak has been a chemical company since its founding. Camera film production and film developing are chemical processes. They already have chemists and chemical engineers along with the facilities to manufacture the chemicals. Fuji Film in Japan has done the same thing. They've moved from film to pharmaceuticals. Fuji Film did it earlier, but with modern digital cameras the film industry is largely dead. They'll have competition from the established chemical companies, but they should be able to carve out a niche. Even for the drugs made here we typically import the precursors/building blocks, so if Kodak can reclaim a share of that market they'll do well.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

That's fascinating about Fuji Film in Japan, @gardenman -- I didn't know about them transitioning in that way.  Good for them!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

That's fascinating about Fuji Film in Japan, @gardenman -- I didn't know about them transitioning in that way.  Good for them!

Yeah, Fuji Film started transitioning in 96 I believe. Both companies were involved in x-ray films also, so they've always had a foothold in medicine. Now with digital x-rays, digital cameras, and even Hollywood going mostly digital, moving into the pharmaceutical field makes a lot of sense for them. Fuji Film led the way and now Kodak is following.

Film development and film processing was all about chemistry. Both firms had massive chemical manufacturing capabilities to supply the film industry. That capability is no longer needed for film so on to pharmaceuticals.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Kodak deal is now on hold to allegations of wrongdoing.

Source: cnbc

Key Points
  • Shares of Eastman Kodak plunged more than 40% at the low on Monday after a federal agency said it was reviewing a previously announced $765 million loan for the onetime photography pioneer to produce drug ingredients.
  •  
  • “Recent allegations of wrongdoing raise serious concerns. We will not proceed any further unless these allegations are cleared,” the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation said in a tweet Friday.
  •  
  • The review of funding comes as the Securities and Exchange Commission is reportedly investigating how the company disclosed the deal with the government.
  •  
  • The deal kicked off a frenzy of trading activity, which saw the stock jump 600% in the span of just two days.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The Kodak deal is now on hold to allegations of wrongdoing.

Source: cnbc

Key Points
  • Shares of Eastman Kodak plunged more than 40% at the low on Monday after a federal agency said it was reviewing a previously announced $765 million loan for the onetime photography pioneer to produce drug ingredients.
  •  
  • “Recent allegations of wrongdoing raise serious concerns. We will not proceed any further unless these allegations are cleared,” the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation said in a tweet Friday.
  •  
  • The review of funding comes as the Securities and Exchange Commission is reportedly investigating how the company disclosed the deal with the government.
  •  
  • The deal kicked off a frenzy of trading activity, which saw the stock jump 600% in the span of just two days.

Rampant crony corruption. No watchdogs. It's like the last days of Rome. Profiteering left and right. And the stock market is detatched from the economy now. Very weird stuff. I'm staying ultra conservative with my money right now. A lot of it is a big bubble, and none of us are enough in to know to be warned before it pops.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr