Respected Contributor

Re: A Seriou Question

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's a fear of having to be in your house for a week or two with no access to the outside world.  I was able to buy the family size enormo-pack (45 rolls) at Sam's online today and it had free shipping.  Try there if you get desperate.  The story seems to be on the news every night and they show bare shelves all over town.  The TP manufacturer employees are probably being asked to rack up overtime trying to handle all of the requests!

Edited to add:  I was also able to buy some disinfecting wipes through Sams.com. I  was happy about that but just now received an email from Sam's telling me that my order for the wipes had been cancelled because of low supply.  Oh well, you might want to ignore my suggestion to order your TP from Sam's!  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

Never, have I heard, that Coronavirus, causes diarrhea, or GI illness, so WHY 🤪are people buying and hoarding toilet 

paper???

And water? Do they expect water mains to break? The water supply to be corrupted? 

I was recently in the Vancouver, WA area, my Sister called Every Costco, in the Vancouver/Portland area. None of them had TP in stock. They were getting deliveries daily. 
They  told her to be at the store, by 10am, because,they sod out, in about 45 minutes! 

Why, TP😳

I think people just get frightened, they buy up what they feel are necessities.

Valued Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

Never, have I heard, that Coronavirus, causes diarrhea, or GI illness, so WHY 🤪are people buying and hoarding toilet 

paper???

And water? Do they expect water mains to break? The water supply to be corrupted? 

I was recently in the Vancouver, WA area, my Sister called Every Costco, in the Vancouver/Portland area. None of them had TP in stock. They were getting deliveries daily. 
They  told her to be at the store, by 10am, because,they sod out, in about 45 minutes! 

Why, TP😳

Suhsek Thank you for asking this question because I was so stumped on WHY did I  keep seeing on my New York news sell out of toilet paper & water .Now I think I am getting a better understanding if I heard about symptoms I would had understood the toilet paper but guess no one wanted to talk about that.

Hope your sister was able to get her supply of toilet paper.

But water is  still a WHY  still not understanding reason for that.

I am keeping more can foods on the shelf,not buying any items prepared in stores by workers for awhile.

Hope everyone stays safe and remember to wash their hands more then ever.

Honored Contributor

Image result for coronavirus toilet paper cartoon

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY wrote:

@SuhseK wrote:

paper???

Why, TP😳

Suhsek Thank you for asking this question because I was so stumped on WHY did I  keep seeing on my New York news sell out of toilet paper & water .Now I think I am getting a better understanding if I heard about symptoms I would had understood the toilet paper but guess no one wanted to talk about that.

Hope your sister was able to get her supply of toilet paper.

But water is  still a WHY  still not understanding reason for that.

I am keeping more can foods on the shelf,not buying any items prepared in stores by workers for awhile.

Hope everyone stays safe and remember to wash their hands more then ever.

@Mimi NY, some people drink only bottled water.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

i'm saving my newspapers!! back to basics!! LOL.........

Respected Contributor

As to the water situation, I was thinking the reason that MY area had shortages is because of a recent freak accident in town where an 8' diameter main water pipe was broken by a construction worker.  It caused flooding and disrupted the entire City's water supply for days.  We were all under a "boil water" warning and everyone dashed out to find bottled water.  The shelves were empty all over town.  We didn't even have time to recoup from that when the coronavirus scare hit. From the stories I'm hearing here, though, the water is out in lots of places in the country and not just in my big Texas town. 

Honored Contributor

Panic mode.  I don't understand it but some people have anxiety and this may cause them to hoard items.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Panic mode.  I don't understand it but some people have anxiety and this may cause them to hoard items.

Keep in mind that shortages don't necessarily mean panic or hoarding, @Mom2Dogs. When you have large numbers of concerned people, shelves can quickly become empty.

I have enough TP and paper towels that would last me for a couple of weeks. That's just how I roll (pun intended). But I bet most people have only enough until their next week's shopping.

So if those people are now deciding to do as I do, yes, it might deplete the stock.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I don't see a big mystery here.  We bought more than usual in case either one of us gets sick and we are housebound for some time.

If a lot of other people around town are sick and people think a lot of the TP comes from China, I think they are worried about the supply chain.

Also, if you are sick, you usually use more.  Sometimes it gets used instead of tissue if you run out of that.