Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3  😂😂😂 That explains it! 🤣🤣🤣

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i'm saving my newspapers!! back to basics!! LOL.........

No laughing matter, I told my husband not to recycle the newspapers for awhile, you never know.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the huge need for toilet paper either, since people I've spoken with have a normal supply on hand at all times since that is one of the last things you want to run out off.

But, they are buying all the bottled water up too.  What is interesting is that I live in "earthquake" country and thinking that we're already supposed to have extra water and supplies in case of a major earthquake.    

I was at Target on Sunday and they were having a promotion of a $15 gift card with $50 purchase of paper products and home supplies.  Hey, I figured, why not since it was about time to get some, so I bought two big packages of TP and a big package of papertowels, and a few other items to get to $50.  The shelves were still about 75% full of TP, so maybe it's Costco that is driving the shortages......interesting marketing since every other store that I've been in has had plenty for everyone. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Seriou Question

[ Edited ]

Some of the explanations and suggestions being offered here are EXCELLENT, sound bits of information!! I cannot help but mention the role the media is playing in all of this. Sensational reporting/journalism is a ratings gold mine. 

I have seen some factual, responsible journalism, but, depending on the source, much of it is feeding the panic, and anxiety associated with the virus. That factors heavily, not only into perceptions, but actions as well.

It is prudent advice to stock up on essentials because of the unknowns. I just wish those responsible for keeping us accurately informed, were more concerned about helping to assuage fears, and not exploit them for ratings.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I think over-buying, stockpiling, etc. is similar to when we are predicted to have a bad snow storm!  People get very afraid they will not be able to get out for things they need, so they tend to run out and buy a lot of extras of things which they consider to be essential basic items, such as bread, milk, water, toilet tissue, paper towels, canned foods, etc.  It might bring a certain amount of peace and safety to them.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin