Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Rhetorical Question - What The Heck Is.....

@Darlingdino 

Sad, but true. These posts really have me thinking🤔

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

There are millions of people on the planet and the only reason we read about people with "issues" is because they are not the norm.

I refuse to go with the mantra "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" just because some of these things are reported more frequently. We just have more news outlets waiting to report this kind of thing. And no, I do not believe that we have "more crazies" as you put it. If we have more mentally ill people walking the streets then it really is because the mentally ill were dumped on the streets back during a certain person's presidency.

@Trinity11   Not quite.  Deinstitutionalization actually began in 1955 with the introduction of Thorazine.  Ten years later Medicare and Medicaid entered the picture.

The crisis of mental health we see today had roots in decades before him; the issue was the release of patients with severe psychosis coupled with the closing or at least downsizing of mental health facilites leading to NEW patients having less care in secure and productive settings.

It wasn't about one person; and while I agree that some communities suffered others did better handling the outflow of patients AND the rise of new patients who may have fallen by the wayside.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

our world seems to have lost its way; I have my own theory as to how it can be fixed but would be zapped if I post it....but it does seem like there is a lot anger and no need to use any self-control in some people's minds. I and my children were not raised that way.
And the Popeye's sandwich isn't any good anyway! I hope they catch the killer and he is locked up for a long time.
Respected Contributor

I firmly believe the crazy behavior is not new.  Now we have multiple news stations reporting news, mostly junk, 24/7.  Now we know what happened in CA as soon as it happened even if we live in the mid-west or east coast.  This was not always the case.  

Since I'm old, I remember when national news came on ABC, CBS, and NBC for 1/2 hour in the evening.  Local news didn't even get the half hour.  Yes, there were once 15 minute programs!  Eventually, the local news got the half hour and to use the time, a lot of filler stories were added.  So, besides reporting on the state, and city happenings, the news programs added fluff such as the local human interest stories. 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

There are millions of people on the planet and the only reason we read about people with "issues" is because they are not the norm.

I refuse to go with the mantra "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" just because some of these things are reported more frequently. We just have more news outlets waiting to report this kind of thing. And no, I do not believe that we have "more crazies" as you put it. If we have more mentally ill people walking the streets then it really is because the mentally ill were dumped on the streets back during a certain person's presidency.

@Trinity11   Not quite.  Deinstitutionalization actually began in 1955 with the introduction of Thorazine.  Ten years later Medicare and Medicaid entered the picture.

The crisis of mental health we see today had roots in decades before him; the issue was the release of patients with severe psychosis coupled with the closing or at least downsizing of mental health facilites leading to NEW patients having less care in secure and productive settings.

It wasn't about one person; and while I agree that some communities suffered others did better handling the outflow of patients AND the rise of new patients who may have fallen by the wayside.

The government failed in two ways, it didn't want to fully fund state hospitals that were becoming dated, they didn't want to build new so they came up with the big idea to send treatment downward to the communties which were ill equipped to deal with the seriously mentally ill which sent them to the jails and community hospitals, etc. with some continuing help from state hospitals but with far fewer beds.

The other was public housing that was also allowed to deteriorate to the point of crumbling and creating more unintended problems whereas has it been fully funded, kept up and managed in a way that cared about humanity, there would not be tent cities as there are now, drug issues aside.

Money always finds it's way to the top.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Here is something I've noticed numerous times in my small community -- where two accidents happened last week from close tailgaiting and where I pulled over to let a tail-gaiter go by me.  When I can see the eyelashes of the person behind me, that's too close and I see it as a type of hostile aggression.  The car that I let by me continuted to tailgate the car in front of it for miles, so close they looked almost like one vehicle.

Sometimes when someone gets on my tail, I'll rush ahead to put distance between us and they'll rush up to get back on my tail!  I use curves for placing distance because they aren't expecting it and they have to step on it to catch up.  Ridiculous. Yet they'll ride their brakes for the pleasure of tailgaiting.  Then accidents happen when someone turns on their binker to turn and they aren't paying attention and can't stop in time.

I'm curious if any of you are seeing more of this.  I sure am.  And it isn't younger drivers, it's older people who should know better but I think they are wanting to aggravate someone to release stress or just act like a jerk.  To be clear, I am not a slow driver.

@Free2be   I identified with your post.  In my situation I believe we just have way too many cars on the road.  It's almost impossible to keep a distance anymore, a distance we were taught way back in driver's ed classes.

The tailgater today is a norm, not the exception.

It isn't easy but we do try to just ignore those who think we can go any faster than the person in front of us.  lol

I believe all the traffic and the wait wait wait at intersections that seem to allow only 3 cars through the green light at a time contribute to much of the impatience on the road today.

We used to head out very early after commute traffic to shop; now even those early hours are starting to have too many people trying to get to too many places too quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

Recently read an article stating approximately 1% of society is evil, lacks empathy, sociopath, narcissist. You get the picture. By the end of this year there will be 7.7 billion people on the globe. They walk among us. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  In busy towns, I'm sure where there is traffic there will be cars on top of each other but I live in a small community with one traffic light.  There might be 3 cars on the road in any given xx miles.  Or like you said, there's other cars ahead, it's not like you can speed up to make the car behind happier.  It makes me crazy when someone can back off a couple car lengths with nobody behind them but they'd rather ride my bumper.  When it's aggression, you know it.  When they can't help it, you know that, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be   I don't want to keep going off topic but I agree with your points.

The issue is complex and far-reaching both in the past and today, and not just based in 1980.

edit:  Referring to mental illness, not traffic.  Our posts are crossing.

Honored Contributor

I just posted tonight that mid day today I saw a lot of cars in the driving lane waiting to get into a Popeyes fried chicken fast food place.

I’ve also seen it for Chick filet fast food.  They block the entire snapping center to go through the drive through.