Honored Contributor

i just came across the most fascinating little nugget of history I had not known:

In January, 1928, a little girl was born into the family of the man who would become France's great (if remote and austere) leader, Charles de Gaulle.

Charles and Yvonne de Gaulle made the decison to keep her at home with their other two children, even though it was highly unusual for Down's Syndrome children not to be institutionalized back then.  There was a stigma, and an unpleasant name for the children then.

Little Anne grew to be the apple of her father's eye.  He could be stern-appearing to others, but his family attests that he adored Anne.  He got down and played with her, singing her songs and acting out pantomimes. 

There is the most charming vintage black and white photo of the "great man" at the sea shore, in a beach chair in close conversation with the little girl.  He looks like he might be teaching her a game.

Charles and his wife Yvonne also established a home and a foundation to work with profoundly disabled girls.  What a lovely legacy to establish in honor of their child, who lived to be 20, finally succumbing to pneumonia in the loving arms of her family.

Gosh, I was so moved by this, unexpectedly.  It can be so humbling to know the stories behind the "big story' of history...

Honored Contributor

Re: A Parent's Love

[ Edited ]

@OznellYou post such interesting threads.

There's a man with Down's syndrome who works where I grocery shop with my Mom. He is the sweetest person, it brightens your day just to interact with him. Last Friday he wished my Mom a happy Mother's Day and it brought tears to my eyes. He then said "did I make your day? " He sure did.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

That is beautiful, greeneyedlady.

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Oznell

Anne was just 20 years old when she died.

Here is an expanded version of the story.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/5594/a_fathers_love_the_story_of_charles_and_anne.aspx

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

A post near to my heart. I have worked with the intellectually disabled for 35 years. And I have loved them all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - Very interesting and touching.  Never knew this.  Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

RoughDraft, thank you for the link that so wonderfully fleshes out the story.  I love what it says de Gaulle confided to a priest about Anne--  "She is a grace, she is my joy.."  According to him, Anne was part of what inspired him to fight so hard and so indomitably for France.  I also did not know what a strong man of faith he was.

It is harrowing to think what might have happened to Anne if she had been less protected during World War II ... 

The link has that charming seaside photo of father and daughter.

Honored Contributor

From the little I know of these children, and I don't know any, I think of them as little Angels/hearts here on earth. So sweet and loving.