Honored Contributor

I was asked for a solution and had nothing to offer ....  suggestions very welcome here!

I have a very nice neighbor I see occasionally when walking our dogs.  

She was very concerned this morning because she was in her closet and a MOTH flew out .... and asked me what to do.   She thought maybe she should get those things that you put on clothes hangers, but aren't those the crystal moth balls that smell so bad?   

I live in a warm climate and haven't had anything wool in years .... I know Cedar spray is nice in a closet, but is that the best solution when (at least) one moth is already present?    Help!

TIA !!!

Honored Contributor

If she wants natural options, she can use cedar and lavender. But first, she should need to check for eggs and larvae, because it's the larvae that eat the clothes and not the adult months. 

Martha Stewart has a good article about it, here: http://www.marthastewart.com/264609/the-basics-of-mothproofing

Trusted Contributor

Re: A MOTH IN HER CLOSET!!!

[ Edited ]

Check out those natural remedies mentioned. MAde me chuckle as Mom used to use those smelly "Moth Balls" and I once asked her "How did she get between thier little legs to extract the emmm balls?" LOOOOOOOOOOL so much for literal meanings LOL

Respected Contributor

My pest guy gave me some little pheromones sticky traps for moths that hatched out of birdseed I had put in the closet of my home.  They were attracted the the pheromones

and got stuck.  

Honored Contributor

Make bundles of dried lavender and hang in the closet.  Or, of course, check out Martha Stewart's suggestions.  But, please do not use moth balls.  Very dangerous to inhale, and you'll never get rid of the odor.  Well, maybe years later after hanging in the outdoor air?   Many, many years ago, I almost passed out wearing a sweater that someone knit and was stored in moth balls.   I had to actually remove the sweater and lie/lay down outside.  Terrible feeling.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I would stay away from moth balls, which contain known carcinogens. There is a strong warning on the label.

Years ago, a tiny little moth apparently hitchhiked on my clothing from a store I shopped in.  I don't know how the little b* reproduced, but I started to see at least a couple a day.  Concentrated lavender oil on cotton balls in the closet and cedar chips in the closet didn't work. I was really upset and literally tossed just about all my wool and cotton clothes so the larvae wouldn't have anything to feed on.  What did work were the sticky pheromone traps (Allure is the brand name) hung in the closet. It took several months, but they were all caught in the traps and died out.

When I come back from shopping in clothing stores now, which isn't too often, I "frisk" myself before entering the door.

Honored Contributor

I have a cedar chest that I keep wool clothes.

Honored Contributor

She could also put her organics in cold storage after getting them cleaned.

I clean and pack mine in two gallon zip locks and in plastic tubs with locking tops early spring when you still have to have heat.  I don't ever take them out until the moths are long gone.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

She could also put her organics in cold storage after getting them cleaned.

I clean and pack mine in two gallon zip locks and in plastic tubs with locking tops early spring when you still have to have heat.  I don't ever take them out until the moths are long gone.

@ECBG

Oh, gees .....   When is "moth season" ?