Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: A Global Look at How People Spend Their Time

[ Edited ]

Interesting.... US highest in TV/Radio, sadly that doesn't surprise me.  Every country averaging 8 hours of sleep, except China - 9 hours.  Somehow that doesn't surprise me either.  Mexico..almost twice the average with personal care...

Honored Contributor

Looked for Israel on the list, but didn't see.  Many (if not most) workers are on the job 6 days a week.  Workers are kept on the job 6 days a week in Asian countries. 

We have the 40 hours work/off Sat/Sun that arose out of the Protestant work ethic.  Used to be 60 plus hours a week from early 1800's to WW2.  Also holiday leave has remained the same from 1 week up to 2  weeks.  About the same a Japan with a notorious hard work week. In Europe they still siesta the entire month of August. 

Honored Contributor

We should watch tv less and shower more.  Many of us spend more time commuting I would expect because we live farther from work and shopping and friends than a lot of the smaller countries and countries with smaller towns.

European countries by and large have been there for centuries, probably have smaller towns, more stable populations per town therefore more patterns of interacting with friends and are perhaps on more solid and stable financial situations than people here. I'd guess life is slower paced. 

I'd guess a lot of countries either spend more time on making meals or some have local small restaurants they frequent.  Not the fast food and big restaurants we tend to have. 

Esteemed Contributor

Find this whole thing speculation unless they say how their data was collected.

Honored Contributor

Interesting..... thanks for sharing

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

I've been in some of those countries, and find them very accurate.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@hopi   That was my first reaction... what about homeless people... people living in squallor... or detention camps...  so many people do not live so called "average" lives. I question this at all being accurate.

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

This is answered below the chart, with more information available through the links.

Esteemed Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@hopi wrote:

This is answered below the chart, with more information available through the links.

Read through it before posting..... check on how some of it was gathered................