Respected Contributor

If someone gave you a scratch off lottery ticket inside a card, and you won *BIG*, say, over $5,000, would you share some of your winnings with the person who gave you the ticket?

Conversely, if you gave someone a ticket as a gift and they won *BIG*, would you expect a little something?

This is all a whole lot of useless wishful thinking I'm sure, but I received a few tickets and haven't scratched them yet.  I could really use a nice, big WIN . . . Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I think it's hard to say what somebody on the giftee end would do. But if I were the gifter I would consider it THEIR winnings, as the ticket was a gift to them.

Honored Contributor

Re: A BIG "What If"

[ Edited ]

I'm not the type to expect anything in return and I would rather they keep it and do something great with it. As far as someone giving me a winning ticket? It would really depend on the circumstances and my relationship with them.

I'm the type that would rather not accept something than have to play this whole dance of you bought me a drink so now I need to buy you one. I'd rather just buy my own in the end. When I give things, I do so freely and dont want anything back. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I would absolutely share if I won even $10.  I'd probably spend it on taking them out to lunch.

I would only ever give my family and have lottery tickets and we've all said that if one person ever wins big, we all win.  

Respected Contributor
When I give someone a gift, I don't expect them to share it with me. Now to contradict myself, if I was given lottery tickets as a gift and hit for a sizable amount, I probably would gift some of the winnings back to the person that gave it to me. Or treat them to something special. That is just the way I am.
Honored Contributor

No I wouild not share if the lotto ticket was a gift, however I have rec'd some very big tips from lotto tickets I have sold to customers.  Last week I sold a $10K winner.  The receipient was VERY generous, lol.

Respected Contributor

If I were the winner, I would definitely give some to the person who gave me the ticket.

If I were the giver of the ticket, I'd hope for a gift from the winner, but I would not really expect one.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

If I won big I would more than happy to help someone that really needed some money like people that have run errands for me out of the goodness of their heart. If it was small they would get a nice gift.

Honored Contributor

As a recipient, "big" covers a lot of territory. $5-10,000 and I would take the giver out to dinner and thank them profusely, perhaps a little more.  $100,000+ and yes, I would give them something of the winnings. You have to remember that whatever the face amount, you will really only get to keep roughly half before you give anything away.

As a giver, I would not "expect" anything in return, but for a huge win I would consider it a loving, appreciative gesture if I was gifted some of the money, a paid-for vacation, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

If I buy a person a sweater, do I expect to be able to share it with her? What about a candle? Do I get to take it home and burn it sometimes? No. If I buy someone else a gift, I don't expect to share it.

If I give someone a lottery scratch ticket, odds are I'm giving them 15 seconds of fun and $0, so it's really more of a gag gift, anyway. I suppose that if I won a few dollars, I'd buy my friend a coffee or lunch with a few more dollars. If I won $5,000, I'd probably still buy her lunch, but I wouldn't feel like I owed her any of the money. You don't tip someone for a gift.