Respected Contributor

I don't ever expect anything...and yes I would split it....

Trusted Contributor

YES and NO.

Honored Contributor

This question is (semi) apropos for an incident I witnessed earlier today.  I was going into a convenience store.  A woman and man (not together) were both approaching the door.   (I was behind them) He held the door open for her and said "go ahead."  She marched right over to the lottery area, and he followed. She bought 2 scratch off tickets, he bought 5.  She won $5000 on her second ticket.  Had he not allowed her to go in front of her, that winning ticket would have been his.  He tried to talk her into sharing her winnings.  She would not.  When I left, they were still exchanging words. (which were getting more colorful)  I have no idea what happened after I left.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

This question is (semi) apropos for an incident I witnessed earlier today.  I was going into a convenience store.  A woman and man (not together) were both approaching the door.   (I was behind them) He held the door open for her and said "go ahead."  She marched right over to the lottery area, and he followed. She bought 2 scratch off tickets, he bought 5.  She won $5000 on her second ticket.  Had he not allowed her to go in front of her, that winning ticket would have been his.  He tried to talk her into sharing her winnings.  She would not.  When I left, they were still exchanging words. (which were getting more colorful)  I have no idea what happened after I left.

I think some people are obsessed with those "scratch" tickets.  This incident doesn't surprise me.

Trusted Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Why he would EXPECT a complete stranger to spare her winnings with him is ridiculous. He sounds delusional.

Respected Contributor

Ouch!  That's probably the last time he ever holds the door for anyone.  If it happened to me I know that the "loss" would sting, but I would chalk it up to "things happen for a reason" and let it go.  I never buy scratch-offs for myself but if I did, I doubt that I would scratch it before leaving the store. 

Honored Contributor

========================================

Rule #1- Always scratch off in your car.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

Ouch!  That's probably the last time he ever holds the door for anyone.  If it happened to me I know that the "loss" would sting, but I would chalk it up to "things happen for a reason" and let it go.  I never buy scratch-offs for myself but if I did, I doubt that I would scratch it before leaving the store. 

I do not buy scratch-offs but I see a lot of people scratching them in the store.  They sometimes win another ticket or a small amount of money so keep playing hoping for the big win.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

My answers would be "no" and no".

Since we are talking about "what ifs"", what if you found a winning lottery ticket that was worth, say, $500 or more?

Would you keep it?

Would you turn it in?

Would you run an ad in the "lost & found" of your local paper?

Me?

I'd keep it.

@Plaid Pants2

A friend of mine picked up an already scratched off ticket in a convenience store parking lot and it was a $60,000 winner.

I guess the original buyer was drunk or looked at it wrong!

She kept it and to this day, my DD & I always pick up discarded scratch off tickets and re-check them! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.