Respected Contributor

Re: 73 yr. old woman in India had twins, your thoughts.

Both parents are in ICU, he had a heart attack and her problem was not disclosed.

Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

Both parents are in ICU, he had a heart attack and her problem was not disclosed.

@Tyak 

Oh dear. That's sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pretty much what I expected, giving birth at an elderly age is very risky. Anyone who thought this was a good thing might want to reconsider. How could anyone think these two elderly people could take care of newborn twins? They will be lucky to be able to take care of each other.

Trusted Contributor

I have read or seen the news before where women over sixty, even in their late seventies have had babies, but not yet twins. I'm surprised by how many have done it and they and the babies do well. What surprises me the most, is the ones I have heard about are always from India, or Asia or some places like that. I think a few were from India or Turkey.

Maybe there is something in their food, water, or environment that makes them have this desire at their ages. I don't know! But God bless them all.

Esteemed Contributor

This is totally unethical. Just because some mad scientist can make granny pregnant does not mean that it should be done. I am 72. My grandson is getting married in the spring, which means that by the time I am 73, the age of the woman who gave birth in India, I could be a great grandmother. That’s as it should be. If anything happens to me, my great grandchild will not suffer. What was done in India was cruel and morally reprehensible.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We consider it a tragedy when young kids lose a parent so I have no idea why setting up a child to likely end up in that position is ok. And people in their 20s just starting out in life shouldn't have to deal with all that goes along with aging parents. I find it overwhelming at 50 so at 20 when I was getting my footing it would have been nuts. Hard enough when you just have to deal with parents with different medical issues when you're younger. People who do this are being selfish and it really has nothing to do with wanting to raise a family.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

That is so sad.

Chances are those kids will never even remember their father and maybe even the mother.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

I read the news that the mother had not recovered yet from giving birth. A

c-section with two babies at her age?!  The babies are being cared for by relatives.

Honored Contributor

The one thing that has run thru my head since hearing this story, is something I have said to my daughters for years:   Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

The one thing that has run thru my head since hearing this story, is something I have said to my daughters for years:   Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!

@RedTop 

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop 

Amen !