Honored Contributor

63 Sam’s Clubs Abruptly Closed Today

Workers laid off.  Some where told after they got to work today.  Hopefully they’ll be absorbed into other stores to stay employed.  

I wonder about BJs now.  

Honored Contributor

Re: 63 Sam’s Clubs Abruptly Closed Today

@Caaareful Shopper I was just coming to post this too.  Here is an article which also includes all of the stores impacted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Honored Contributor

Yes, sadly, one of them was a mile from my house, sad, been there 16 years.

Esteemed Contributor

That's terrible news. Thanks @momtochloe for the list. I was looking earlier and couldn't find it. I just renewed my membership this month, and was happy my Sam's wasn't on the list even though the article says memberships fees will be refunded.

The worst thing is all those workers are now unemployed. Some without notice other than a letter saying "Don't show up for work." What a sad and scary thing. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Just heard on the local news that the store in Madison, WI is closing at the end of the month.

Honored Contributor

This is terrible news. Ours wasn't affected because DH and I went this morning to stock up on stuff before another cold front comes in. We didn't hear anything while at the store. I hope those former employees are given some type of severance.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper I was just coming to post this too.  Here is an article which also includes all of the stores impacted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

yes, as WalMart announces raises for WalMart employees,

Respected Contributor

Oh no! That is terrible. I love Sam's Club and shop there regularly, and my store is one of those on the listWoman Sad

Honored Contributor

Maybe that's why I heard on the news that WM just raised their hourly wage to $11 per hour and WM is also giving out a ton of $1000 bonuses to many of the employees who have been working for WM.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Maybe that's why I heard on the news that WM just raised their hourly wage to $11 per hour and WM is also giving out a ton of $1000 bonuses to many of the employees who have been working for WM.

I believe I read earlier that the $1,000 bonuses are for the employees with 20 or more years of service. Sliding scale for everyone else. I believe the average bonus is $190. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?