Honored Contributor

Re: 63 Sam’s Clubs Abruptly Closed Today

@gidgetgh wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Maybe that's why I heard on the news that WM just raised their hourly wage to $11 per hour and WM is also giving out a ton of $1000 bonuses to many of the employees who have been working for WM.

I believe I read earlier that the $1,000 bonuses are for the employees with 20 or more years of service. Sliding scale for everyone else. I believe the average bonus is $190. 

I think the point is that those who worked for Sam's Clubs are paying those bonuses, and funding the raises with their jobs.

Honored Contributor

That average of $190 is still a considerable amount when you look at the number of employees there are. 

Honored Contributor

Am I the only one not surprised by this? 

Perhaps because local companies have already done this so and stated why. If Walmart wasn't so famous, would anyone really care?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter

I am from Wisconsin and I seen the Madison and West Allis stores are closing. I feel so bad for these employees. It's H to lose your job. I hope they can be directed to another store. This time of year makes it hard too.

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Just heard on the local news that the store in Madison, WI is closing at the end of the month.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had read awhile back maybe about 2 years ago that Sams was in trouble....

Im shocked that the Sams located next to the Walmart nearest me wasnt on the list....all the cars are at Walmart and very few cars at Sams next door.  But there is a Costco down the road that is always jammed packed.....I think people here prefer Costcos....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We have two Sam's here and so far there is no word of either closing. I'm in Colorado Springs.

Esteemed Contributor

Does it look like ALL ARE CLOSING OVER THE NEXT FEW MONTHS OR ONLY THE ONES LISTED.  Ours is open and seems to be doing well.  We also have a Costco that is packed from the moment it opens to the time it closes everyday of the week.  The parking lot is full.  Sams not so much but it is not without customers.  We do not have a BJ's. We also don't have much of a mall.  One has been closed for over 15 years.  

Respected Contributor

I don't think closing Sams Clubs would be connected to Walmart employees getting bonuses. 

Why would a Sam's Club that is profitable  be closed?

Honored Contributor

Most of the WMs here are the 24-hour Superstores. However, we have had some of them start closing at around midnight. The WM I shop at will close at midnight starting in February, I think. I'm not sure if this is happening to save them money or if it has something to do with security reasons.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some workers were yanking on the doors...like customers.

All what was communicated was a sign on the door.

OOoof.  But yet someone gave a big fist pump via Twitter. 

8724B2BF-AC87-44A2-B0E0-2E36492F702D.jpeg