Contributor
Is it true people who are receiving unemployment are also getting $ 500. Extra every week if that's the case I wish I was unemployed. If that's true who made this to take effect that is totally not right when their are people who need food. Your better of to lose a job.
Esteemed Contributor

No

Respected Contributor

I think it's true, but an extra $600.00. It's part of the stimulus package for those unemployed.

Honored Contributor

@Purplenails ..It's $600.00 a week, not $500.00.

I don't think's its better to lose a job in order to get the extra money.  While I am not pleased with that decision by our government, it is what it is.

I am still waiting on a stimulus check and assistance for my small business....my state as of today still does not have the web site set up.

Respected Contributor

@Purplenails 

There's no "bonus." However, as part of the economic impact relief package, those who lost their jobs due to pandemic closures, and who are receiving unemployment, are also getting an additional $600 per week until the end of July. 

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

No, the additional boost from the federal government is $600 per week, in addition to whatever one gets from their state. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor
@Moonlady wrote:

@Purplenails 

There's no "bonus." However, as part of the economic impact relief package, those who lost their jobs due to pandemic closures, and who are receiving unemployment, are also getting an additional $600 per week until the end of July. 

I think the essential workers who work with the public should get just as much extra. This doesn't seem fair to me. 

Trusted Contributor

It's not $500, it's $600 added to the normal state unemployment benefit for whatever state someone claims and qualifies in. 

Many articles explaining this. Because unemployment benefits tend to be very low paying from state to state, the CARES Act tries to supplement those benefits for a short term to get people on their feet until they can get back to work. 

read a few articles.  

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/money/coronavirus-spending-bill-expands-unemployment-what-yo...

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/3/21199689/how-to-get-coronavirus-unemployment-insurance-furlough

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/23/business/economy/unemployment-benefits-stimulus-coron...

It's not in place forever, it's just a booster to help folks who are so far behind from being out of work, they can get an extra supplement so debt is not insurmountable. Helping people out of work in a public health emergency is not a handout. It's a way to sustain families short-term. 

Honored Contributor

The federal government is adding $600 per week to those receiving state unemployment benefits. 

Honored Contributor

In case you didn't understand, it's $600.00 extra.  Woman Tongue