Respected Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

@happycat 

Well, I neither wrote nor signed the law...

And there are a lot of ideas being tossed around to compensate "essential" workers, from an extra $1920 per month, to a one-time, $25,000 bonus.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

And it is taxable,   I hope people realize this before they spend too much.

Honored Contributor

I feel another argument brewing.Woman Frustrated

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Having been in the business, IMO this stimulus business in regard to unemployment is way overly generous.  Some people are making more than when they worked.  Needless to say, they won't be in any rush to end their taxpayer subsidized vacations.  Not everyone is suffering.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal 

While it's true that states' unemployment benefits represent only a part of one's lost wages, the ones who hold the purse strings nixed requiring states' UI to cover the full wages ,(fair enough), in favor of the additional $600 per week (Santa Claus).

Esteemed Contributor

@Purplenails wrote:
Is it true people who are receiving unemployment are also getting $ 500. Extra every week if that's the case I wish I was unemployed. If that's true who made this to take effect that is totally not right when their are people who need food. Your better of to lose a job.

That would depend on how much you value you job and how easy or difficult it would be to get a new one once unemployment and the stimulus runs out. It's short term (not sure how long, a few months?) and when it runs out those people will be left bringing in nothing until they can find work again. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's perfectly appropriate. It's not exactly a bonanza, and it will not be permanent as long as the virus is not permanently wreaking havoc.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Some states have made it extremely difficult to even apply for unemployment benefits.  

Respected Contributor

@Purplenails 

I get your point, but most people want to provide for themselves, and get back to work.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Having been in the business, IMO this stimulus business in regard to unemployment is way overly generous.  Some people are making more than when they worked.  Needless to say, they won't be in any rush to end their taxpayer subsidized vacations.  Not everyone is suffering.

I beg to differ @Kachina624 , where I live we depend on tourism. Hotels, restaurants, beaches, summer rentals, the ferries, daily tour buses and shopping. Many businesses depend on this money to survive the rest of the year. 

The coffee shops, bike rentals and novelty stores are closed forever because of lost revenue.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson