Honored Contributor

I certainly don't begrudge people with no income the extra money. These are extraordinary circumstances.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor
In some states like MS the maximum unemployment is only around $250/week. Also some states exclude part time jobs
Honored Contributor
Oh. And some people only qualify for the 600/week.
Trusted Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

@Purplenails I'm sorry you don't think this is fair but the fact of the matter is they don't get enough from unemployment to pay for rent/mortgages, food, utilities ect. to make ends meet.  So Congress addded an extra $600 to help make up the difference.  With the price of food now I'm sure they are some of the same poor people waiting in line, for hours , trying to get food   I for one don't have a problem with them getting the extra money I'm sorry to hear that there is anyone who would.  

Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

@Purplenails I'm sorry you don't think this is fair but the fact of the matter is they don't get enough from unemployment to pay for rent/mortgages, food, utilities ect. to make ends meet.  So Congress addded an extra $600 to help make up the difference.  With the price of food now I'm sure they are some of the same poor people waiting in line, for hours , trying to get food   I for one don't have a problem with them getting the extra money I'm sorry to hear that there is anyone who would.  

@Silver Fox1   Worth repeating.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

My DH laid off and only gets 264 a week unemployment. He makes more that that working. It is an absolute blessing to get the extra 600. It took weeks to get. It is helping us with our medical. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I certainly don't begrudge people with no income the extra money. These are extraordinary circumstances.

Some people around these forums seem to begrudge people anything and everything. If you're on Social Security and not impacted by this pandemic, sit back and judge is the way I guess. It's really sad. Wait until Social Security is affected, if you think that's not coming you're fooling yourself.

The extra $600 is only until July. What do you think the job market will be like then? Plus if you do have a job to go back to and it is offered back to you and you decline, you can't continue to collect unemployment. Due to covid legal exceptions might end up being made for those with qualifying pre existing conditions. Those that make it risky to go back to work in July.

I worked in a school, was interviewing to find a better job when all of this started. I'm not lazy and I want to work. I took care of my mother for three years, try finding a job after that. Try finding one in July. I'm not married and don't depend on a man.

Please stop judging others and count your blessings. I'm out of here again, too depressing and too things I can't say. Bad for my mental well being.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Contributor

I'm happy to see them stay home when asked to.  Glad Congress is making it easier for them to do that.

Honored Contributor

The reason for the extra money was obviously the pandemic situation.  As others have said, many states' unemployment insurance isn't enough to come close to being able to live on.  Ordinarily, people that become unemployed could look for another job.  Right now, that's almost-if not totally-impossible in most states.

You can bet the extra payments will be gone once jobs are available again.  If not before in many areas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Having been in the business, IMO this stimulus business in regard to unemployment is way overly generous.  Some people are making more than when they worked.  Needless to say, they won't be in any rush to end their taxpayer subsidized vacations.  Not everyone is suffering.

I beg to differ @Kachina624 , where I live we depend on tourism. Hotels, restaurants, beaches, summer rentals, the ferries, daily tour buses and shopping. Many businesses depend on this money to survive the rest of the year. 

The coffee shops, bike rentals and novelty stores are closed forever because of lost revenue.

@JaneMarple    We are talking about Unemployment Insurance, not the general economy.

You don't think New Mexico is dependent on tourism and I'm not familiar with its effects?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment