Honored Contributor

I am so afraid of getting the flu. I had such a bad case of it last year, and I always get a flu shot

We aren't going to the hospital for our daily walk, until flu season is over. They say the shots are not very good, but still think you should get one

I think the cold weather might have helped keep people inside, and  perhaps reduced some flu exposure

Stay well everyone

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/09/576772534/facing-down-flu-5-things-to-know-now

Honored Contributor

I'm 69 and have gotten a flu shot as long as I can remember and the last time I was sick was winter of 2006 when I had  a bad cold.

Have never had the flu. I stay out of crowds as much as I can during the winter. The shot may not be 100% effective but I'd rather take my chances.

Honored Contributor

I'm just getting over something my doctor called "viral infection."  I slept for three days!  

Honored Contributor

I was so sick last year, with the flu, and  I dread to think how much worse it would ,or could have been for me ,without my flu shot

Honored Contributor

DH and I both got the flu shot and have every year for as long as I can remember. We just bought two of each item: nasal spray, mentholatum, allergy eye drops, Nettie pots, carmax for lips. That way if and when we get sick, we don't share these items for fear of passing it on. At least we can have some comfort until getting to a doctor. 

Honored Contributor

Has anyone used Tamiflu? Did it help you recover sooner?

Honored Contributor

I came down with the flu (type A influenza) the day after Christmas. I know it was type A because I was swabbed at a clinic.  I lived through the body aches, fevers, and coughing.  I am still coughing a little.  I have a neighbor who has had a lingering cough for 6 weeks.  She had the flu shot....I didn't.... so it is different for every one.  The neighbor that had it for so long continued going to work.  I stayed home for a good week or more, resting and taking in plenty of fluids and nourishing food which is what the clinic doctor was telling people to do.   I was given Tamiflu but I only took it for two days as it ended up making me nauseous and took away my appetite.  I started eating again and pumping fluids the day after I stopped the Tamiflu and started getting a little better each day.  I took extra vitamin C also. If anyone does get this  rest....rest....rest..drink more fluids....don't rush back to work.  For most people around here it is a 1-2 week deal. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Has anyone used Tamiflu? Did it help you recover sooner?

@cherry, I took Tamiflu but ended up with a secondary infection anyway. I ended up on Augmentim. I had the swab test so it was definitely the flu. All told it took 3 weeks to feel well again but I still cough at night.

Stay well!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  the cough is always such a bear to get rid of. I was taking 5 different meds for it. I think when you are diabetic ,they take it a bit more carefully ,as far as  giving you meds.  I got stuff I refused to finish, like steriods.

They were terrible for me. I couldn't sleep while taking them

Honored Contributor

Re: 5 flu facts from NPR

[ Edited ]

The doctor’s office today said they always advise people not to fly/cruise right after the holidays. She said all it takes is 1 sick person on a plane or ship and everybody gets sick.

She said so much illness at this time of year “makes her business.”

On the news Sunday night here, they reported record flu outbreaks and the ineffective vaccine...they said to still get the vaccine.

@cherry

Thank you for the article link —- very interesting.

For cough and effective... in Guard by doTerra. But not for diabetics i would think.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~