Honored Contributor

We get the flu shot every year and have not been sick in ages. But I do understand that this year's vaccine is not fully protective. I am very worried about contracting the flu because I am very, very thin and cannot imagine the possible weight loss. There's not much anyone do, though. I don't have a great deal of social contact, but I am not going to stay holed up either. That can wreak its own kind of havoc. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm not holed up @suzyQ3  but I will not go to the hospital for my daily walk ,until flu season is over with

I am just so scared of getting it again this year.  It has been an awful 6 months for us, with my  husbands health

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'm not holed up @suzyQ3  but I will not go to the hospital for my daily walk ,until flu season is over with

I am just so scared of getting it again this year.  It has been an awful 6 months for us, with my  husbands health

@cherry, I wasn't thinkinkg of you when I said that.

Just out of curiosity, do you do your daily in the hospital?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yes we do @suzyQ3. From the parking lot and back to the car we walk a mile

I live in the northern tier and  we always have the bad weather to consider.  Walking at the hospital is good for us. We are out of the rain and snow, its climate controlled as far as temps, and we don't have to worry about dogs or kids on bikes etc

Plus the floor is level and we don't need to worry about tripping. This happened to my neighbor ,and she dislocated her shoulder, and we are 10 minutes from the hospital, it's closer than the mall and it's safe

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cherry, I wasn't thinkinkg of you when I said that.

Just out of curiosity, do you do your daily in the hospital?

@cherry, uh, make that "do you do your daily WALK in the hospital?" Otherwise, it's way too personal of a question. :-)

Honored Contributor

Yes we do @suzyQ3  there are 2 hospitals connected ,both are in use ,and we walk from one to the other, all inside, and connected. It's a big place. It's easy to get a mile in

It isn't crowded, we can go at a fast pace, and do it in about 1/2 hr

Honored Contributor

@cherry, thanks, but I was just correcting my awkward goof in my first post to you.

Honored Contributor

Influenza A and B is very prominent here in southern WV, along with the gastro virus.   

I have been in my home for a month now, but must go to the grocery store tomorrow.  I will restock, and then be content to stay home again.

My husband spent today in the ER with his aunt who had an asthma flare.   As soon as he came home, I insisted he shower and change, in hopes of reducing exposure to anything carried in on his clothing.   I cleaned well with bleach while he was gone, and sprayed the bathroom with Lysol after he showered.  You cannot be too careful right now!

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Has anyone used Tamiflu? Did it help you recover sooner?

Yes @cherry

I was sitting here wondering if I should mention it it to you.  When I was in the hospital with Type B, i was so sick they gave me Tamiflu even though it had been longer than that. They said there were new studies showing even given late, Tamiflu could lessen the impact and perhaps shorten the time line of being sick.  I was in bad shape but suffered no side effects.

I was very ill with a 104 fever,chills,ached and pains,coughing and wheezing and vomitting.. My doctor assumed I had the flu and gave me Tamiflu. Well it did nothing for me except give me a horrib!e itchy rash on my legs and back. I wound up spending 7days in the hospital 3 of them on oxygen. The hospital did every test in the book and my flu test came back negative. It was determined that my immune system had been compromised because I had recently finished 6 1/2 weeks of radiation for breast cancer. I had caught a virus that I had trouble fighting. I was coughing for months. Tamiflu just made the whole illness worse. So make sure you have a positive Flu test before you take it!  Em

Honored Contributor

@RedTop  I certainly understand. Mr Cherry had to get an ultrasound on Mon. We got there before 8 AM, and it had snowed ,and was snowing, so the Lab wasn't very crowded.  I will tell you, I as never so glad to get out of a place in my life

When we go for our walk I never touch anything ,and use the hand sanitizer before I leave.