Esteemed Contributor

Dear Calm, you expressed yourself beautifully. Prayers. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Sending good wishes to him. 

I know how hard it is.  Our oldest was in the service (Middle East) on 09/11/01.

How long has your son been in?

Hi.  My son started with the military in 2003, beginning with the National Guard.  He was deployed after his 2nd year in college and spent 16 months in Iraq.  He returned and finished college with an ROTC scholarship, was commissioned an officer, and was deployed twice after that.  He is a Ranger, Paratrooper, Ranger Instructor, dog unit leader, and has moved up in rank.  And now he's taking his troops overseas again.  He's very protective of his soldiers.  

Trusted Contributor

I pray each night for our Men & Women serving our country---and for their parents.

Jamma

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I hate the way our military operates with the same people doing all the nasty work and shouldering the burden for our freedom over and over.  It's just not fair!  It needs to be shared by all the citizens of this country.  If there aren't enough volunteers, let's go back to the draft,  and there's no reason why women should be exempt.   Imagine trying to be a good parent while having to interrupt your life repeatedly to go to that hell-hole in the mid-East.  So hard on individuals and families. 

A lot of those places were not hell-holes until we got there. So tired of the western ignorance of the ME. As for all of us sharing the load. Go ahead. I already gave a husband. And my tax dollars support the ones who volunteer with no gun to their heads. But by all means you can be the first.

Respected Contributor

My nephew joined the Air Force delayed entry and was PROMISED no deployments to Middle East with his aptitude tests - most he would get is Germany.

I told him not to listen to the Recruiter - have heard several other families promised the same. Oh no, the Recruiter said..we cannot lie..

Three-weeks ago, he was deployed...to Qatar... so much for the promises.

Honored Contributor

Our family lost a special young friend recently.  Medically discharged after multiple tours of duty, due to chemical exposure.   The military was his ultimate dream and he truly loved serving his country.   

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart: Your son has a most impressive resume. My son was commissioned last spring upon graduating from college on ROTC scholarship also. 

Prayers for him and for the soldiers in his charge to be protected always. My son has "advised" me that he will be seeking deployment in the future.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@CalminHeart: Your son has a most impressive resume. My son was commissioned last spring upon graduating from college on ROTC scholarship also. 

Prayers for him and for the soldiers in his charge to be protected always. My son has "advised" me that he will be seeking deployment in the future.

Prayers to your son too.  It's quite a career though I blame my gray hair on my son's deployments.  

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I hate the way our military operates with the same people doing all the nasty work and shouldering the burden for our freedom over and over.  It's just not fair!  It needs to be shared by all the citizens of this country.  If there aren't enough volunteers, let's go back to the draft,  and there's no reason why women should be exempt.   Imagine trying to be a good parent while having to interrupt your life repeatedly to go to that hell-hole in the mid-East.  So hard on individuals and families. 

A lot of those places were not hell-holes until we got there. So tired of the western ignorance of the ME. As for all of us sharing the load. Go ahead. I already gave a husband. And my tax dollars support the ones who volunteer with no gun to their heads. But by all means you can be the first.

@AngusandBuddhasMom  Thank you very much for your offer but I've already served my time,  if not in the Mid-East.  Thank God for the volunteers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: 4th Deployment

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm so sorry you lost your husband.  That's too much to give and my heart breaks for you.

I have to agree with you in that these places weren't h---holes until the American people believed the lies and we got there.  It breaks my heart that it's ongoing.

I think people see so much of the results of war and fighting that they think it is common throughout the middle east.  Please excuse people for that.  Education doesn't matter to many these days.

In my son's case, he has been to Iraq (16 months) and to Afghanistan (twice).  Where he was in Afghanistan made his time in Iraq look like a spa vacation.   But all three were very rough and lacked the basic everyday comforts we take for granted.