Esteemed Contributor

4.7/4.9 quakes near Ridgecrest

Some up to a plethora of Facebook messages from my Ridgecrest peeps.  They have had thousands of tremors but these two were this morning.  There are now reports of a possible volcano developing near Geo Thermo Plant (China Lake is heated by not water from this plant).  Additionally, many buildings in RC or CL have been red tagged (including Base Chapel, Commissary and RCs only Cinema.

Respected Contributor

Re: 4.7/4.9 quakes near Ridgecrest

That's horrifying.   I'd be getting out of there.  I fear the "big" one, when it comes, could drop the whole state into the Pacific.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde :  Many people can't leave (jobs or health issues).  I am so upset that our grandsons to back there for school and if starts first week in August.

Respected Contributor

From the USGS web site posted yesterday:

The California Volcano Observatory detects neither significant change to the volcanic system beneath Coso Volcanic Field, Inyo County, California, nor impending volcanic activity, following the Ridgecrest earthquakes..

The seismic swarm activity continues within the volcanic field, but as of the time of this announcement, intensity of the seismic swarm is declining. The Coso geothermal field contained within the Coso Volcanic Field overall has not experienced heightened levels of seismicity when compared with previous swarms. 

The current activity at Coso can be considered distant aftershocks, or triggered earthquakes. The M7.1 on July 5 occurred on a NW-trending fault oriented toward the Coso area, and it is common for large earthquakes to cause aftershocks beyond the actual fault rupture. The California Volcano Observatory will continue to monitor the situation for any sign of volcanic activity and provide updates as warranted.

Frequent Contributor

Here is a link to:

the United States Geological Survey (US Department of the Interior); this shows where earthquakes have occurred or are occurring:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

Honored Contributor

I hear there was a minor quake this morning East of Everate, Wa.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I live in Manhattan Beach, CA - I did feel 7.1 last week, but didn't feel this one today.  We are about 120 miles from Ridgecrest...  I'm glad they are over pretty quickly...  It's just part of living here....  not thrilled, but it is something we have to deal with I guess..  Glad there weren't any fatalities.............. 

Trusted Contributor

Oh, no... the aftershocks are building in intensity again. From the volcano, perhaps? I'll do more reading later. Hoping they aren't precursors. 🙏

Thanks for the info, @patbz (and others). I sure understand your concerns about your grandsons returning to this currently unstable area. Hugs to you!