Respected Contributor

2nd Question from "what would you do if you found $100"

Hmm, in reading the responses, it made me wonder what is the most expensive item you have found and turned it in or found the owner?

For me, I think it was the smart watch that I found at the swimming pool in a hotel in Waikiki where we were staying for my son's wedding a few years back.  I turned it in to the "lost and found", and wonder if the owner was ever located.   

I never find anything, except for occasional loose change in the parking lot...

I have found quarters by the grocery carts at Aldi...

My Mom walks every morning and have found lots of items, watches, wedding rings (I imagine they were thrown out the car window), and lots on bills that show "past due" on the envelope.  All the money she finds she donates to the local food bank. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Re: 2nd Question from "what would you do if you found $100"

I have never found anything more than a $100 bill.  But I work in a vistor’s center on Sunday afternoons, and I’m shocked by all the pricy things people lose, and they never check back in to possibly claim these things. 

We have smart phones, keys, designer sunglasses and prescription glasses, and more. Never any cash!  

One time, a child from out of town lost a beloved personal item, and his family came back a week later to see if we had it. We did, and he was overjoyed. 

Honored Contributor

3700 in cash, and one check.    It was in a bank bag on the ground in a Costco parking lot. It was at a Costco far from our home.   It took a while, but there was a check in the bag, we found owner. he came and got it.  we first called police to report it.  by the time Police came, owner showed up.  .  police talked to him, and money was turned over.   the man was so happy.  small business.  it fell out of passanger side when he went to get something when he was leaving Costco.

Honored Contributor

I once found a wallet with money,cards and dil.I contacted the owner who happened to be a tourist.He was already home and told me to package it up and mail it.He didn’t say to take some cash from the wallet for postage  either...ended up costing me a trip to post office and postage.

Respected Contributor

One morning when I went jogging, I found a $20 bill in front of a restaurant where the parking spots were.  I kept it!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I found a 5.00 bill on the ground, but, this is Tx anything might blow in at any time. ROFL

Honored Contributor

I haven't found anyone else's things that were worth money.  I found 3 $100 bills in my old pocketbook a couple years ago.  I forgot I hid it there.  I was very happy at the time.

Trusted Contributor

I found a $20 bill outside of a gas station I frequent. Funny, because I lost a $20 bill there. I did the same thing that @jellyBEAN  did, I kept it!

Honored Contributor

I got a sister who finds money all the time

I never could figure out how folks sock away money then forget it

don't stay that long in my hands

Honored Contributor

I have found numerous wallets over the years with cc an money that I returned to the owners, along with phones, glasses, etc.  probably a few hundreds dollars worth.

The most expensive item I found was $5000 in the pocket of a mink faux fur coat.

About three years after my mother passed, my sisters and I were going through her things.  We were donating her clothing to an organization that helps women and children.

Before my mother passed, she purchased an expensive dressy mink faux fur coat.  She never got to wear it.  Because I am  built similar to my mother, my sisters wanted me to take the coat.

Faux fur is not my style, so I didn't want it.  They kept insisting that I try it on.  So, finally I did.  I was dancing around in it acting silly, twirling and spinning and put my hands into the pockets and felt something in there.  

My mother had hidden $5000 rolled up with a rubber band in the pocket for safekeeping

My father said he was aware she had it, but he couldn't find it.  We almost donated all of that money with the coat.

Now, I always check the pockets of clothing before I donate