Honored Contributor

Re: 28 Spring Break Students Test Positive

@Hippiified wrote:

If they are in college they are aduls.  They quit listening to their parents long ago.

Their parents listened to them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Not surprised at all. Don't feel sorry for them at all - maybe this will be a wake up call for them though I doubt it.

The ones I feel sorry for are their family members.

As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I am so surprised that so many here attended the SC rally and heard the word *hoax* and ran with it.

That said, ironic that NYS governor names a law after his own mother and yet his little brother (not spring break-er age) ignores the warnings and brings his elderly mother into his home.

Now he tests positive.

I wonder if he was at the rally and took the word out of context, too?

It's not only the younger ones who are being stupid ....

@Lucky Charm   COVID-19 was not referred to as a hoax.  And yes, while the word hoax was used, it HAS been taken out of context.

Knock it off.  This type of misinformation is what divides us further.

Try really listening to the actual tape instead of a rehash by some media bent on destruction.

Have a great day.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@lianne wrote:

The governor of Florida should have shut the beaches in the entire state like other governors did. He was more interested in the revenue from the hotels and bars than his citizens lives.

The governor of Louisiana also ignored the doctors recommedations to issue stay at home orders and let Mardis Gras go forward.

Louisiana's numbers have spiked to ridiculous levels and they havent even peaked yet.

Federal government should have issued a country wide stay home order but the same reason was used. They didnt want to scare people or the stock market and many people got sick and have died as a result of us being reactive rather than proactive

@lianne 

Your information regarding the Governor of Louisiana and Mardi Gras is completely untrue.  There were no recommendations to issue stay at home orders from anyone at that point in time.

The Mardi Gras season began on February 8 and ended on February 25.  As of that date, there were a total of 15 cases on the west coast, all in people who had returned to the US from abroad.  The first case of community spread Coronavirus was identified the day after Mardi Gras - in California.  No one in the US was shutting anything down at that point.  Gov. John Bel Edwards of Louisiana did not hesitate to shut down the state once those recommendations were made.  We were actually one of the earlier states to shut down.  Please get your facts straight before you decide to trash someone.

@shoesnbags  @lianne 

This is what I dont understand about Louisiana and Mardi Gras....there had to be some type of warning sent out to the states because the CEO of the grocery store chain, HEB, said they got a warning about the virus in JANUARY and started planning for an epidemic as did other suppliers in the grocery store business .......  So if those retailers knew the virus was serious and could spread in the U.S. why didnt Louisiana know about the heads up????? And also January was when the travel started from China as well.... 

I think it was more of a fear of losing the tourism that the Mardi Gras generated just like those Flordia beaches, and Texas's Padre Island......I know our city here in Texas wrestled with it and the monetary loss of tourisim for our city but decided to cancel or re-schedule several festivals and events for the fall....

@Spurt 

If the grocers and grocery suppliers got a warning in January, and started “planning for an epidemic”, why did consumers face empty shelves when it came time to stock up?  Why didn’t those forwarned grocers all have their warehouses stockpiled with all of the extra goods that would be needed for an epidemic?  

I was responding to the other poster’s assertions that the governor of La. ignored recommendations to shut down the state back in February when Mardi Gras was held.  The fact is that recommendations  to “shut down” states started later.  Social distancing stared later. Spring Break in Florida happened after many states, Louisiana included, had already shut down and the seriousness of the situation was apparent. 

@shoesnbags 

The grocery stores WERE and ARE fully stocked ---they planned back in January with suppliers-the problem is/was THE HOARDERS that they didnt count on (they expected it to be more like hurricanes or bad storms where people took what they needed)...But THE HOARDERS thought of buying to re-sell and make some cash!!! They get everything fully stocked each night and also during the day...and Hoarders come in like locusts~  Even my Instacart Shopper said he recognized the hoarders, they seversal carts filled to the brim and came to the store everyday and as a Instant Cart shopper who went there everyday he saw it in person....and family/friends witnessed hoarding at the stores too...  Now the grocers have wised up and started restricting essentials and the poor cashiers get cussed at when they make them take stuff out of their cart....Things look to be settling down, stock is more available, but the hoarders dont seem to give up....

Mardi Gras may have come before restrictions went into effect, but theres also some common sense that is needed as well.....some states seemed to be more aware and prepared ahead of time before the restricts and mandates and Feds even got involved.. Some may have thought they were exaggerting the impact and didnt want to lose that tourism money..Woman Frustrated

Not sure why Mardi Gras is getting all your rage.....  How many Sporting events, Concerts, social events took place during this time when claim "everyone should have know".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The Governor of Florida should be taking responsibility for not shutting down the beaches. Personally, I think the revenue from it meant more to him than human lives. It reminds me of the Mayor in "Jaws," who refused to shut down the beach.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I am so surprised that so many here attended the SC rally and heard the word *hoax* and ran with it.

That said, ironic that NYS governor names a law after his own mother and yet his little brother (not spring break-er age) ignores the warnings and brings his elderly mother into his home.

Now he tests positive.

I wonder if he was at the rally and took the word out of context, too?

It's not only the younger ones who are being stupid ....

@Lucky Charm   COVID-19 was not referred to as a hoax.  And yes, while the word hoax was used, it HAS been taken out of context.

Knock it off.  This type of misinformation is what divides us further.

Try really listening to the actual tape instead of a rehash by some media bent on destruction.

Have a great day.

Sorry @Cakers3 , you mistook my *thinly veiled* sarcasm the wrong way. 

I'm well aware of what transpired.  

I get so sick of posters mentioning the word *hoax*, it's stuck right in some of their throats, it seems.  Like a hairball...lol

Honored Contributor

Did you all see the article in the NY Post a couple of days ago about the father who wouldn't let his son come back home after spring break?  The college age kid went to South Padre Island.  The father wanted him to return home early because of what was going on with the virus and the son refused.  They talked everyday and everyday the father begged the 21 year old to come home.

The son wanted a ride home from the airport and dad told him there was no chance he was picking him or his friends up.  They took a car service home and the dad stopped them in the driveway and said they weren't coming in the house or staying there as planned because he wasn't risking his parents being exposed to Covid-19.

He filled the son's car with groceries, gave him $300.00 and told him to go back to his on-campus apartment.  

Good for the dad. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Who didn't see that coming. 

I know the twenty somethings in my life aren't taking this as seriously as they should. It's disheartening at the very least.

-------------

It is not just the twenty somethings....it is happening within all ages.  All age family gatherings, teen get togethers...I still hear of some groups of people gathering together.   

My DD and I were discussing...she stated that she has heard that many people just don't believe this 'pandemic' is really happening - such stupidity!!