Honored Contributor

Re: 28 Spring Break Students Test Positive

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@lianne wrote:

The governor of Florida should have shut the beaches in the entire state like other governors did. He was more interested in the revenue from the hotels and bars than his citizens lives.

The governor of Louisiana also ignored the doctors recommedations to issue stay at home orders and let Mardis Gras go forward.

Louisiana's numbers have spiked to ridiculous levels and they havent even peaked yet.

Federal government should have issued a country wide stay home order but the same reason was used. They didnt want to scare people or the stock market and many people got sick and have died as a result of us being reactive rather than proactive

@lianne 

Your information regarding the Governor of Louisiana and Mardi Gras is completely untrue.  There were no recommendations to issue stay at home orders from anyone at that point in time.

The Mardi Gras season began on February 8 and ended on February 25.  As of that date, there were a total of 15 cases on the west coast, all in people who had returned to the US from abroad.  The first case of community spread Coronavirus was identified the day after Mardi Gras - in California.  No one in the US was shutting anything down at that point.  Gov. John Bel Edwards of Louisiana did not hesitate to shut down the state once those recommendations were made.  We were actually one of the earlier states to shut down.  Please get your facts straight before you decide to trash someone.

@shoesnbags  @lianne 

This is what I dont understand about Louisiana and Mardi Gras....there had to be some type of warning sent out to the states because the CEO of the grocery store chain, HEB, said they got a warning about the virus in JANUARY and started planning for an epidemic as did other suppliers in the grocery store business .......  So if those retailers knew the virus was serious and could spread in the U.S. why didnt Louisiana know about the heads up????? And also January was when the travel started from China as well.... 

I think it was more of a fear of losing the tourism that the Mardi Gras generated just like those Flordia beaches, and Texas's Padre Island......I know our city here in Texas wrestled with it and the monetary loss of tourisim for our city but decided to cancel or re-schedule several festivals and events for the fall....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@lianne wrote:

The governor of Florida should have shut the beaches in the entire state like other governors did. He was more interested in the revenue from the hotels and bars than his citizens lives.

The governor of Louisiana also ignored the doctors recommedations to issue stay at home orders and let Mardis Gras go forward.

Louisiana's numbers have spiked to ridiculous levels and they havent even peaked yet.

Federal government should have issued a country wide stay home order but the same reason was used. They didnt want to scare people or the stock market and many people got sick and have died as a result of us being reactive rather than proactive

@lianne 

Your information regarding the Governor of Louisiana and Mardi Gras is completely untrue.  There were no recommendations to issue stay at home orders from anyone at that point in time.

The Mardi Gras season began on February 8 and ended on February 25.  As of that date, there were a total of 15 cases on the west coast, all in people who had returned to the US from abroad.  The first case of community spread Coronavirus was identified the day after Mardi Gras - in California.  No one in the US was shutting anything down at that point.  Gov. John Bel Edwards of Louisiana did not hesitate to shut down the state once those recommendations were made.  We were actually one of the earlier states to shut down.  Please get your facts straight before you decide to trash someone.

@shoesnbags  @lianne 

This is what I dont understand about Louisiana and Mardi Gras....there had to be some type of warning sent out to the states because the CEO of the grocery store chain, HEB, said they got a warning about the virus in JANUARY and started planning for an epidemic as did other suppliers in the grocery store business .......  So if those retailers knew the virus was serious and could spread in the U.S. why didnt Louisiana know about the heads up????? And also January was when the travel started from China as well.... 

I think it was more of a fear of losing the tourism that the Mardi Gras generated just like those Flordia beaches, and Texas's Padre Island......I know our city here in Texas wrestled with it and the monetary loss of tourisim for our city but decided to cancel or re-schedule several festivals and events for the fall....

@Spurt 

If the grocers and grocery suppliers got a warning in January, and started “planning for an epidemic”, why did consumers face empty shelves when it came time to stock up?  Why didn’t those forwarned grocers all have their warehouses stockpiled with all of the extra goods that would be needed for an epidemic?  

I was responding to the other poster’s assertions that the governor of La. ignored recommendations to shut down the state back in February when Mardi Gras was held.  The fact is that recommendations  to “shut down” states started later.  Social distancing stared later. Spring Break in Florida happened after many states, Louisiana included, had already shut down and the seriousness of the situation was apparent. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I never did a spring break beach vacation while in college. But I can’t really blame them for going. I am sure they looked forward to, planned, and saved for it all School year long. But I certainly did not like the attitude of several that were interviewed that showed a complete disregard for the seriousness of the virus. They could have gone and still done what was necessary to stay safe, though that would have certainly cut down on their fun.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

oh well.....hope it was worth it....i have no sympathy for them.....sorry.....

@nana59 .... I feel the same way ... they deserve what they got .... I’m surprised only 28 tested positive .... I am sure the rest of them will be positive in a few days .... now they are back in the US so this virus will never go away ....so sad 😞 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The kids may deserve what they get, but when they go back to their families' home, they could spread something without even knowing it.  I have kids that age that have returned home from college the past few weeks and I've told them that if they want to be here and have our continued financial support in school, they will adhere to our shelter in place regulations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@lianne wrote:

@lianne 

@shoesnbags  @lianne 

@Spurt 

If the grocers and grocery suppliers got a warning in January, and started “planning for an epidemic”, why did consumers face empty shelves when it came time to stock up?  Why didn’t those forwarned grocers all have their warehouses stockpiled with all of the extra goods that would be needed for an epidemic?  

I was responding to the other poster’s assertions that the governor of La. ignored recommendations to shut down the state back in February when Mardi Gras was held.  The fact is that recommendations  to “shut down” states started later.  Social distancing stared later. Spring Break in Florida happened after many states, Louisiana included, had already shut down and the seriousness of the situation was apparent. 

@shoesnbags 

The grocery stores WERE and ARE fully stocked ---they planned back in January with suppliers-the problem is/was THE HOARDERS that they didnt count on (they expected it to be more like hurricanes or bad storms where people took what they needed)...But THE HOARDERS thought of buying to re-sell and make some cash!!! They get everything fully stocked each night and also during the day...and Hoarders come in like locusts~  Even my Instacart Shopper said he recognized the hoarders, they have several carts filled to the brim and come to the store everyday and as a Instant Cart shopper who went there everyday he saw it in person....and family/friends witnessed hoarding at the stores too...  Now the grocers have wised up and started restricting essentials and the poor cashiers get cussed at when they make them take stuff out of their cart....Things look to be settling down, stock is more available, but the hoarders dont seem to give up....

Mardi Gras may have come before restrictions went into effect, but theres also some common sense that is needed as well.....some states seemed to be more aware and prepared ahead of time before the restricts and mandates and Feds even got involved.. Some may have thought they were exaggerting the impact and didnt want to lose that tourism money..Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Linmothere is a guy, I think in NY, who sent his kid away because the kid disobeyed him and was out and about, doing his thing in crowds.  The father told him to leave since the family has worries about someone getting sick in the home.  I can't remember all the specifics, but rules are rules.

Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

Who didn't see that coming. 

I know the twenty somethings in my life aren't taking this as seriously as they should. It's disheartening at the very least.

Honored Contributor

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.........

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.