Respected Contributor

24837 days of Queen Elizabeth's reign

[ Edited ]

on this date in 1952  then Princess Elizabeth and Philip were in Kenya when they learned of George VI's passing 2/6/52.

Her Majesty and her husband Prince Philip were in Kenya when her father King George VI died in his sleep from lung cancer

their return to London after learning of death

Today's date also carries sombre memories for Her Majesty, as Elizabeth became queen on the death of her father King George VI on February 6, 1952. Pictured with Philip returning to Clarence House, London from Kenya on the day after his passing

on coronation day 1953

Queen Elizabeth II, wearing the Imperial State Crown, and the Duke of Edinburgh in uniform of Admiral of the Fleet, wave from the balcony to the onlooking crowds around the gates of Buckingham Palace after the Coronation in 1953

yesterday while carrying out royal duties

The Queen - the nation's longest reigning monarch - will mark the anniversary of her accession privately at Sandringham, where she has been staying during her winter break. Pictured during her visit to Wolferton Pumping Station yesterday

God bless the Queen today with many memories of her father - and a most successful reign.

King George Vi

George VI

Respected Contributor

Re: 24837 days of Queen Elizabeth's reign

Elizabeth with her father

young Queen Elizabeth II and her father, King George VI

coronation day of George VI

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth's coronation

Honored Contributor

My school closed so we could watch the coronation on TV.   In those days, Chicago was connected to NY by cable, and we had the first "network" TV.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Great photos as usual, @ms traditional !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell Royal Family archives - what a wealth of memories are in the repository.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few months ago on our Amazon Prime TV channel I watched a British documentary called "The Queen's Diamond Decades" which was very good. There were 7 episodes. The first one touched on her childhood and the 1950's when she became queen. Her father said that Elizabeth was his "pride" and Margaret was his "joy." I'm sure he's looking down and still proud of his daughter. Episode 2 was about her reign in the 1960's; episode 3, the 1970's; ep 4, the 80's; ep 5 the 90's; ep 6 the 2000's; and episode 7, her diamond jubilee celebration done in England. That was quite the celebration - the Brits  do it up right! It was an interesting and enjoyable series.

Super Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

A few months ago on our Amazon Prime TV channel I watched a British documentary called "The Queen's Diamond Decades" which was very good. There were 7 episodes. The first one touched on her childhood and the 1950's when she became queen. Her father said that Elizabeth was his "pride" and Margaret was his "joy." I'm sure he's looking down and still proud of his daughter. Episode 2 was about her reign in the 1960's; episode 3, the 1970's; ep 4, the 80's; ep 5 the 90's; ep 6 the 2000's; and episode 7, her diamond jubilee celebration done in England. That was quite the celebration - the Brits  do it up right! It was an interesting and enjoyable series.

Thank you for this recommendation @cimeranrose. Nice thread and pix @ms traditional.