Valued Contributor

What's up with the camera operators?

[ Edited ]

I've watched soooo infrequently over the last, say, four days, but the camera operators seem to be asleep on the job.  Consistently, whole screen graphics are left up way too long, when host is clearly, if you're listening, demonstrating something.  And long shots are a specialty instead of what should be close-up shots.  It's very annoying. 

They used to have experienced camera people.  Where'd they go?  

Valued Contributor

Re: What's up with the camera operators?

I agree - And it is all items - jewelry, clothes, shoes, cookware, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Q seems to have cleaned house of anyone over 50 without a contract.

Esteemed Contributor

Is it really the camera operators?  Isn't there a control room w/a director saying which camera should be on?

Honored Contributor

Do they even have camera operators anymore or is it all robotic?  I've heard HSN hosts comment about all robotic cameras now.  Not sure if it's all the time, just on weekends, just evenings, etc.

I'm also wondering if there is anyone listening at all to what the hosts are saying.  One of them has continually been misspeaking about the account credit you get when you open a QVC charge and she still misspoke again Sunday evening.  Why TPTB aren't correcting her about it is a mystery to me.   

Honored Contributor

Could they be re-assigning extra hosts to camera duty?  That would be more useful than asking them to sit on camera, off to the side, monitoring social media while another host does all the work.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Do they even have camera operators anymore or is it all robotic?  I've heard HSN hosts comment about all robotic cameras now.  Not sure if it's all the time, just on weekends, just evenings, etc.

I'm also wondering if there is anyone listening at all to what the hosts are saying.  One of them has continually been misspeaking about the account credit you get when you open a QVC charge and she still misspoke again Sunday evening.  Why TPTB aren't correcting her about it is a mystery to me.   

@Lipstickdiva 

I've seen recent shows where there were camera operators and the host told them to come over and get a sample of the gourmet food that was being presented...sure enough one time a woman with a large camera and another time a man operating a camera was there.....And one camera operator was asked to share her pet story....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I wish ALL the QVC hosts would adopt the practice that David does.....when he wants a closeup of a product or a demonstration he asks and waits for a camera closeup and has the vendor wait too for the camera to be focused on the item or on the demo.....

I hate that when the vendor is giving a presentation and instead of a closeup of what they are talking about we get a long shot of the entire room....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Finally other viewers who are unhappy with the lazy camera work!

Trusted Contributor

I've always wondered if "close up" shots cost more money since there are so few of them!!  Especially for clothing.