Valued Contributor

Re: 12 year-old kills a Sonic employee

[ Edited ]

I didn't know about a few of the specs detailed below, so thought I would share. I still don't think it should be sold to and used by the general public. 

From NPR:

"AR-15-style semiautomatic weapons are considered to be civilian versions of military weapons that gun control advocates say aren't very different. Its original military design dates back to the 1950s.

The AR-15, like its military version, is designed to kill people quickly and in large numbers. The National Rifle Association calls it "America's Rifle."

AR-15-style rifles are semiautomatic, which means a shooter must pull the trigger to fire each shot from a magazine that typically carries 30 rounds.

A shooter with a fully automatic rifle can pull and hold the trigger and the weapon will fire until the ammunition supply is spent."

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

John, I would like to read the stats that you are providing on guns.  Where you are getting your info regarding your FACTS??

Hopefully, they are reputable sources so please share.

@Mersha 

You can Google and find many statistics from .gov and others that are current up to April 12, 2023. 

Mass shootings(4 or more people) are primarily committed using hand guns. Stated that is 78%. Easy to look it up. If I put up a link? You know!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@sugar plum 

I spent a total of 6 years(1958-1964) in the United States Army and Army Reserves. Never was I issued a rifle that even resembled an AR 15. My rifle was capable of shooting Rifle Grenades, most were not, and it had an 8 round Clip(bullet magazine). It was a Semi-Automatic.

From what I read, some in the Military are now issued an M16 rifle, but it is a fully automatic Rifle, unlike an AR15 that is a  Semiautomatic.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Sanity has left the building several years ago.......... as long as this society continues the glorification of guns, the cycle will continue. I don't want to say it will get worse. ....I mean, what is worse then school age children being slaugtered? It is sickning to the core 

Super Contributor

@hckynutjohn  - gee that changes everything 

Super Contributor

@Jk9 - the problem is that a weapon designed to kill is so so easy to get into the hands of the "problem" person. Lets do something about that 

Super Contributor

@sugar plum  That should say " Merica's rifle" 

Super Contributor

I hope he is charged as an adult and is put away for life in prison for this murder.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Esteemed Contributor

KEENE, Texas - A 12-year-old child is one of two people accused of murdering a man at a fast-food restaurant in Johnson County,  south of Fort Worth.

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office said the shooting happened Saturday night at Sonic in Keene.

The victim, 32-year-old Matthew Davis, was shot in the back and died during surgery at the hospital.

Police arrested the 12-year-old a few miles away in Rio Vista, along with 20-year-old Angel Gomez.

Investigators say that Gomez, who is from Fort Worth, arrived at the restaurant with a group of others and began being "disorderly" in the parking lot.

Davis, a Sonic employee, confronted Gomez and the argument became physical.

The 12-year-old then went into Gomez's vehicle grabbed a gun and fired multiple times hitting Davis, according to police.

Gomez and the 12-year-old ran from the scene, but Gomez was arrested after he returned to the Sonic.

Investigators then went to a location in Rio Vista where they found the 12-year-old and recovered several firearms.

Both Gomez and the 12-year-old are now charged with murder.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

John, I would like to read the stats that you are providing on guns.  Where you are getting your info regarding your FACTS??

Hopefully, they are reputable sources so please share.

@Mersha  National Institute of Justice 

30 year study up to 2019 is one.

The study also addresses mental health, the legality of weapons used, ages of shooters, etc.

In case the source is questioned,  the Institute is part of our own gov.

There may be an increase in the use of other types of weapons but overall @hckynutjohn was correct.

I am not advocating any support for possession of weapons so please do not twist my post into a personal attack.

You asked for a reputable source and one was supplied.

For such an extremely important and tragic issue people should be keeping up on their own.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh