Honored Contributor

Re: 12 children found in home

@Ms X wrote:

You're right, @RinaRina!  It's not unusual to read in news stories that people had suspicions about someone who went nuts and killed one or more people.  One of the most recent examples is that the neighbors of those San Bernardino terrorists saw a half dozen men working in the garage late into the night as well as many large packages delivered to the house.  It's odd that we never heard more about this group of men who spent a lot of time at the house working.

And even more recently in the Orlando massacre, a waiter now says he was suspicious of the shooter and wife having regular meetings at the restaurant he worked at, with a group of men, all speaking Arabic and acting suspiciously any time he approached their table.

Sigh......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

You're right, @RinaRina!  It's not unusual to read in news stories that people had suspicions about someone who went nuts and killed one or more people.  One of the most recent examples is that the neighbors of those San Bernardino terrorists saw a half dozen men working in the garage late into the night as well as many large packages delivered to the house.  It's odd that we never heard more about this group of men who spent a lot of time at the house working.

And even more recently in the Orlando massacre, a waiter now says he was suspicious of the shooter and wife having regular meetings at the restaurant he worked at, with a group of men, all speaking Arabic and acting suspiciously any time he approached their table.

Sigh......

Exactly, @KingstonsMom!  I wonder whether we'll ever hear anything else about that.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

I don't get that the neighbors waited years to say something.

This is a very common occurence, if memory serves, the same went down with that awful Cleveland case too....

Not the same at all. There were massive searches for each of those girls when they went missing.  

I don't know how the Amish communities work internally, do you?  Perhaps some people went to the Elders about this.  Aren't things in Amish communities handled internally for the most part?  I don't know but before turning this into a Kitty Genovese thing where it's assumed nobody did anything about it (later disproven years ago - that "notobdy lifted a finger to help her" story wasn't exactly accurate) people need to know the facts.  We don't know what went on in the Amish community about these children do we?  Or how they live?   I'm not defending anyone or anything, just saying it's not a good thing to make a bunch of assumptions and leap to all sorts of conclusions.

Respected Contributor

A little background on this story, it is local to me:

1) the parents of the children (who are in jail right now) broke away from the Amish community where they lived before the "gifting".  Their farm was foreclosed upon by the community, and the parents blamed them for their financial troubles.  They left that area-so the neighbors in the original area had no idea any child/ren were missing.

They now rent a farm somewhere else, and call themselves "born again".

2) the neighbors did report things over the years, unfortunately they did not report abuse, since they did not know anything--just that is was an odd situation.  Finally, this last reporting went noticed because the agency classified it to be noticed.  

It is horrible, but the neighbors had confronted the man-- they even knocked on the door-- but he lied and/or ignored the door on all previous occasions.  

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

I don't get that the neighbors waited years to say something.

This is a very common occurence, if memory serves, the same went down with that awful Cleveland case too....

Not the same at all. There were massive searches for each of those girls when they went missing.  

I don't know how the Amish communities work internally, do you?  Perhaps some people went to the Elders about this.  Aren't things in Amish communities handled internally for the most part?  I don't know but before turning this into a Kitty Genovese thing where it's assumed nobody did anything about it (later disproven years ago - that "notobdy lifted a finger to help her" story wasn't exactly accurate) people need to know the facts.  We don't know what went on in the Amish community about these children do we?  Or how they live?   I'm not defending anyone or anything, just saying it's not a good thing to make a bunch of assumptions and leap to all sorts of conclusions.

@Pearley

Thanks for mentioning this about the Kitty Genovese story, I hadn't heard that it was 'disproved'.

Knowing that kinda restores a little bit of faith in mankind for me......a little bit.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Weird.

These held-captive stories always seem

originate in that Indiana-Ohio-Pennsylvania area.

Especially the cases of 2+ people.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom Just saw Kitty Genovese's brother interviewed on CNN the other day. He has written an extremely well researched book about his sister's life and death.

Even as just a historical, sociological document, it should be a great read. I'm planning to get on the list atour local library. 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@KingstonsMom Just saw Kitty Genovese's brother interviewed on CNN the other day. He has written an extremely well researched book about his sister's life and death.

Even as just a historical, sociological document, it should be a great read. I'm planning to get on the list atour local library. 

@violann

Thank you! I'll check with my library too!

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure that children in these situations ever recover. It must take intense therapy to get beyond it and move forward. They can never replace the time that was taken from them, the torture they endured is so sick.