Honored Contributor

Re: ☕️Coffee is (Mostly) Good For You

[ Edited ]

Caffeine is shown to be advantageous to athletic performance, but I don't think it is shown to be actually GOOD for you (or me).

As I love my couple cups in the morning, I was very happy to find a really great tasting low acid blend at my local food coop that is locally roasted and brought to the market by the guy who actually roasts it.  As lonng as he keeps bringing it, I will keep having my morning coffee fix. I only drink it black. 

Best coffee in town and make any other coffee taste like ******!

I don't live under the illusion that it's somehow health-promoting, though.  

Was also reading something yesterday talking about how it isn't so great for the gut microbiome.  I am looking into that more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

World Market's Sumatra has been a good low-acid option (for me).  Not every day, but once in a while. 

My daily instant coffee is Folger's.  Used to be Taster's Choice, but I found (years ago) that they changed the flavor.  'Could be' that it's back to (my) normal now-a-days.  I haven't tried it since then.

p.s. My computer is very slow (typing-wise) right now.  Taking forever to type. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Cherry:  Yes, not good if one has acid reflux or GERD.  It can activate the stomach acids. 

'Don't get me wrong', I love my coffee each day.  Not too strong, though.  Nothing near to/ like St*rbucks, which is very strong.  Even their lighter options, although I've taken it home and mixed some of it into my regular coffee.  Sort of a coffee seasoning, so to speak.

@cherry 

There are also coffees known to be/sold as low acid content coffee.” Google “low acid coffee brands.” In addition, cold brewed coffee, by the nature of how it “brews”, will be much lower in acid than just about any regular traditionally brewed coffee.

Cold brewed coffee is often used as iced coffee, but people do use it as hot coffee too. Anyone who doesn’t want to make their own can now buy packaged cold brew from Trader Joe’s, Amazon, Starbucks and most grocery stores these days. More expensive to buy than to make yourself. Do-it-yourself is time-consuming and can be messy (yet it’s easy), but you use whatever coffee you love best and that’s ideal rather than something off the shelf.

I have never had a cup of Starbucks coffee that didn’t taste burnt/overroasted, ever.  I drink their fraps and iced chais but never their hot coffee.

I pay no attention to any health “study of the week” re food - never have, never will. Moderation is common sense in all things.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

All the studies disregard variables such as one's ancestry. I believe that no diet is good for everyone. I have no health issues, never been overweight and have never given up butter, whole milk, ice cream...while others have a problem with lactose. I avoid all diet, low cal food, I think it's unhealthy. I like organic regular unprocessed food. It's gotten harder to avoid the GMOs; I just wish it were labeled.

Trusted Contributor

This is my coffee of choice to make at home. That first cup is the best.

88538FCC-CCB3-4FA2-A1BE-0F93EF0A7324.jpeg  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

All the studies disregard variables such as one's ancestry. I believe that no diet is good for everyone. I have no health issues, never been overweight and have never given up butter, whole milk, ice cream...while others have a problem with lactose. I avoid all diet, low cal food, I think it's unhealthy. I like organic regular unprocessed food. It's gotten harder to avoid the GMOs; I just wish it were labeled.

@occasionalrain

No, not all studies disregard ancestry.  Definitely not.

There are numerous studies on ancestry/genetics and dairy/milk/lactose.

And for sure there are numerous studies on certain ancestry/genetics, diet and the Blue Zones.

Also on people who live in the Mediterranean area and eat a certain way.

I have one of those genes, myself.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@occasionalrain

No, not all studies disregard ancestry.  Definitely not.

There are numerous studies on ancestry/genetics and dairy/milk/lactose.

And for sure there are numerous studies on certain ancestry/genetics, diet and the Blue Zones.

Also on people who live in the Mediterranean area and eat a certain way.

I have one of those genes, myself.

I was unaware of that. It's good to know that they are including it and may explain why what seems beneficial to some isn't to others. 

Honored Contributor

Normally, I have a small cup of coffee in the morning. Today it was cold and I met a friend for lunch. Waitress brought over a whole pot so I had much more coffee than I typically drink.