Contributor

Re: 👩🏾‍⚖️ OceanGate's Waiver 👩🏾‍⚖️

Usually waivers aren't worth the paper they're printed on, so the families may sue. They may win...or not.

But either way it won't bring those people back. 😢

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who is talking about Civil Lawsuits against this company? From what I understand, those on board were not in the low or middle income class. Family members died, and hours later Civil Lawsuits are on their minds? 

Seems I heard 1 of those aboard owned the company and was it's CEO. Anyone can sue anyone over anything, that's part of the problem with our Court System now. 

What lawsuits were filed over the Challenger explosion in 1983, and what were the outcomes? 

If there are lawsuits and millions of $$$$ are won by those that filed. Will the governments involved in the attempted rescue, be reimbursed for their costs during the search and recovery?

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

When I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane for my 50th birthday, I signed a waiver. What was interesting, the waiver said I or my heirs could sue, but only if I paid a nonrefundable $500 bond right then.  I didn't pay the bond, and actually told PapaWick that if something did happen to please not sue as I certainly did know the risks.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

People don't have good sense.  They ride carnival rides, drink and drive and do things that get them killed because they don't have sense enough or think it won't happen to them every day.  Look how many famous people die doing stupid stuff.  

Honored Contributor

That does not mean that the waiver cannot be successfully challenged.   

Trusted Contributor

The company has already closed up shop. They were losing money before this. There is nothing to be gotten in a lawsuit. 

Honored Contributor

This is all like a nightmare come true.

As is all those lost in the sea trying 

to get to America.

So many unbelievable things happening in our world.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

I just checked, and the website is gone.  Some people that are as wealthy as these passengers are have lawyers on their payroll and they probably can get a lawsuit going right away.  Nothing better to do.  Another way to tie up the court system.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The waiver is immaterial. Five lives were lost due to using sub par materials. Nothing will bring them back. My heart breaks for the 19 year old that lost his life because he wanted to please his father. Too bad the father wasn't more concerned about his son's life than his obsession with the Titantic. 

Of course the company closed, they had no choice. Their experiment went horribly wrong. There is no recourse except grief and despair for the father and son. The others on board were well aware of this submersible's design and parts. This is an exploration of inadequate technology.

I wonder if they refunded the money. It would be interesting to find out.

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I was taking a cheapo flight from Miami to South America. I had the window seat over the left wing. I looked out and saw the wing was literally held together with duct tape.

I asked the fight attendant "Como se dice duct tape en espanol?"

FA: Duct tape.

Me: The wing has an awful lot of duct tape.

FA: The whole plane has duct tape.

I stayed and all was OK, but I stared at the wing the whole flight.