Trusted Contributor

i have decided to apply to be on the board of directors.  i am so tired of the favorites getting postions and others being passed over for no really good reason.

we had a guy who worked in the mayor's office and the mayor elected to not run  again.  well, he knew that he was going to be out o fa job so he called the library and he got a very high paying postion that was never posted to library employees.  he left on a friday, two two weeks vacation then  started his new postion on the following  monday. he had no library degree or experience at all and he was made a supervisor over some people who have the degree and years of library experience

an other guy just got hired and his mom is the deputy director of the library.  he can't be perm but still others have   been passed over in favor of this guy.

if i get a postion on the board, i would want to stop this nonsense.maybe i could not stop it but i might be able to shake things up a bit

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover  OMG!  I'm sure you'll be wonderful on the job.

My daughter's boyfriend's mother is (whatever it's called here) the person who manages the libraries for our area.  She picks the books that will be on the shelves when they're new.

She's a wonderful person.  She lives near me and we meet for lunch or dinner every now and then.  

I hope you get what you want.  I think libraries are underused and unappreciated.

Trusted Contributor

i  just  feel that people who work hard,play by the rules should be rewarded and not just;patted on the back then back stabbed when it comes to promotions.

and i was not passed over but i know many who were

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadloverCan you hold your job AND be on the Board, too?

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover  What is your background? Are you a librarian or journalist? How is the position chosen? Most Board positions are volunteer . . . are you ready to devote so much time to such a community activity? It takes many hours each week! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

i can do both and  you have to apply.  i am not sure if it is paid or not.

asfor the hours, well, they only meet once a month

Honored Contributor

Good for you, I'm rooting for you. That saying, "It is not what you know, but who you know" is all too true and oh so wrong. 

Honored Contributor

Hope you get it and help point out the unfairness you've witnessed.

Esteemed Contributor
Good luck - I hope you succeed. I just hate hearing stories like this.

Honestly, when I was reading your post, the first thing I thought of was this is the type of thing the local news in your area should investigate. But, (1) I know I personally would never report it and (2) I guess I don’t know for sure how libraries are funded. I assume it’s taxpayer’s money.
Honored Contributor

Our library has turned into more of a social services office than a library.  Events, classes, and such are where the emphasis is now, not on reading, literature or information.  I think that is sad.

They are duplicating a lot of services that are offered by many organizations in my area, and to my mind, the reading part is going begging now.