Trusted Contributor

Why did Shakespeare write with ink?

Because he couldn’t decide which pencil to use… 2B or not 2B?

Why is John Milton a terrible guest at game nights?

Because when he’s around, there’s a pair of dice lost.

Yesterday a book fell on my head…

Well, I only have my shelf to blame.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why did Shakespeare write with ink?

@Malcontent,

Ok I'm going to admit I get the first and last but I'm thinking John Milton?-oh yes (after looking it up!)-Paradise Lost. "The die is cast?" is sticking in my head. Oh no wait, (looking it up again😄)-that was Julius Caesar. So I don't get it, I confess! Please explain oh polymath (the meaning of someone who knows a lot of information!) I'd never heard of this word either but looked up what do you call someone who knows a lot lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I just saw a great line-

"everything in moderation, including moderation."

From The Poison Rose on Netflix said by a private investigator listing what he likes to do.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The die is cast:  in gambling, one of those 2 " cubes "/ dice is called a die.  The decision has been made.

Crossing the Rubicon River:  The point of no return in going forward to face the enemy in battle.

( In all my years of Latin, I always hated translating Caesar and the Gallic Wars....this may be the first time at 78 that I am getting to use some of the stuff, LOL.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Malcontent,

Ok I'm going to admit I get the first and last but I'm thinking John Milton-oh yes (after looking it up!)-Paradise Lost.

"The die is cast?" is sticking in my head. Oh no wait, (looking it up again😄)-that was Julius Caesar. So I don't get it, I confess! Please explain oh polymath (the meaning of someone who knows a lot of information!) I'd never heard of this word either but looked up what do you call someone who knows a lot lol!

Why is John Milton a terrible guest at game nights?

Because when he’s around, there’s a pair of dice lost

@on the bay  John Milton wrote "Paradise [pair of dice] Lost," not Julius Caesar.

Trusted Contributor

@alliswell 

Thank You!

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay 

You ask: What do you call someone who knows a lot?

A crazy Italian.

Thanks for playing and pick up your prize at the door. lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Malcontent@alliswell,

Oh yes, I know Milton wrote Paradise Lost not Julius Caesar-(cause I looked it up trying to think where am I getting the die is cast?!) but you know left handed thinking I'm just off onto what flies into my brain like "The Die is Cast you know dice, maybe that's it! But this has nothing to do with Milton of course-go figure  cause I can't lol!

And then and then... it dawns!

Ohhhh! Pair of dice lost!!! 

I am so slow. Really! I'm always the last to get it. Someone said its the same part of the brain that understands maps and I don't, or charts. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me play😅 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I just saw a great line-

"everything in moderation, including moderation."

From The Poison Rose on Netflix said by a private investigator listing what he likes to do.

First said by Oscar Wilde. Famous quote. One of my favorites.

Another favorite is don't do the same thing twice or you'll be doing the same thing twice. Gunter Grass  So many times I wish I'd taken that advice.  Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay 

I’m not sure what you just said, but I’m for it…whatever it was.

(You’re starting to sound like me, a crazy Italian. You might want to have that checked out). lol

Blessings, Dear Woman.