Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

Yesterday I finished reading Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout. Another FIVE STAR winner!

Elizabeth Strout is one of my favorite authors, and Olive Kitteridge is probably one of my very favorite heroines. Sometimes she cracks me up laughing, and other times she makes me cry. Such a complicated character. Her friends and family are multi-faceted and entertaining, just as she is.

I'm hoping that MAYBE there will be enough time to add one more Olive Kitteridge book added to the series. I'd love to see her make one more visit to Crosby, Maine. But the author better hurry!

Has anyone else read this, as well as the other Olive Kitteridge books?

I've also enjoyed several other of her books, not having anything to do with Olive, and they were all good EXCEPT for Lucy Barton. I really hated that book and was so disappointed.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

@sunala @I really liked GONE  GIRL, and I liked the movie too, I got hubby to watch and he liked it too. Sorry you didn’t. I give you credit for what you’re reading now, I couldn’t read them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Epicurean , I can’t wait to read this one ... The Institute, Stephen King.  LM

Honored Contributor

Blessing In Disguise, by Danielle Steel.  Her typical type book sometimes lighter reading just feels necessary.  Still enjoy her after all these decades.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Finished The ****** Bible.  Here is my review from Goodreads for those who might be interested in reading it:

"Everyone needs to read this book. I was intrigued by this book and all the information it provided in sometimes layman's terms. I also liked the end of the chapters entitled "bottom line" where she summarizes it.

I learned a lot and wish I read this book when I was younger instead of my mother "throwing" a book at me when I turned 13 and got my period.

I do admit that I skipped over some of the parts that weren't pertinent to me but did skim some of those also.

Thank you Dr. Jennifer Gunther for this informative book and I wish I had you as my doctor since I'd probably feel comfortable with you."

Respected Contributor

I recently read Summer of '69 by Elin Hilerbrand...one of my favorite authors for summer reads!  It took me awhile to get into it, which is unusual when I read one of her books, but I finally got into it and couldn't put it down.

I just finished The Other Woman by Sandie Jones.  I enjoyed The First Mistake so much that I just knew I would love The Other Woman.  It was okay, and I'm not sorry I read it, but imo, The First Mistake was much better.

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Just posted the review below in the August monthly thread...

Just finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes for the second time.  I loved it the first time and loved it again.  We had a power outage for a couple of days and I had the 600 page hardcover borrowed from the library.  I am now ready for the sequel (The Year of the Locust) which I have on request from the library.  LM

I am ready to start Jo Nesbo’s Knife next.  LM

@Lilysmom   Love every Jo Nesbo book with Harry Hole!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala  Thanks for your reply to my post! I got through 2 1/2 chapters of Gone Girl and quit. If you start The Federalist Papers, you will begin with Hamilton. His writing is a bit difficult. John Jay is an easier read. My favorite author is Jane Austen, so I'm kind of used to the 18th/19th century vernacular.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Lilysmom 

Just read your post about your sister and sending you hugs.  My only experience with Alzheimer's is a neighbor and it was horrible.  

I lost my sister too, too young, to cancer.  We were thisclose and she's my phantom limb.  I still can't read books with the word "sister" in the title or description and I know i'm missing some good ones but...can't.

Anyway, sorry and hugs.    Lori

@LoriLori- I'm so very sorry to hear about your sister. May she rest in peace. Hugs, Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I have several books on waitlist and they are just not becoming available (they will all come in at once, I'm sure!).  So I read a few of the Lady Justice books.  Lady Justice and the Bad Seed was just ok.  Lady Justice and the Mystery Mansion was really good.  I enjoyed it.   

With nothing else to read, I picked up The Couple Next Door again.  After 50%, I really am giving up on it this time.  The couples are interchangeable and the mystery does not really interest me.