Valued Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

I am reading The Undertaker's Assistant by Amanda Skenandore. The plot revolves around an African-American young woman who was fostered by a doctor in the North and travels to New Orleans to find work as an undertaker after the Civil War. 

I am enjoying this book because it examines the conflicts of race and gender in gaining respect, both professionally and personally.

Also, my sister lives in Baton Rouge. We make the trip to New Orleans when we visit with her.  I am familiar with many of the street names, traditions, and terms.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I finished THEN SHE WAS GONE, by Lisa Jewell, and I loved it! It was so good....I couldn't wait to pick it up and read it everyday......I will definitely read more of Lisa's books! 

I am now onto SHE WAS THE QUIET ONE, by Michele Campbell...

hi @CANDLEQUEEN - I also read Then She Was Gone, and although I found it interesting enought to keep reading, the ending confused me. If you read about the book and the author on Goodreads, it appears she wrote two endings, and the one published was chosen. Honestly, the other one made more sense to me. It was a strange end, BUT it did hold my attention until the ending.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I finished THEN SHE WAS GONE, by Lisa Jewell, and I loved it! It was so good....I couldn't wait to pick it up and read it everyday......I will definitely read more of Lisa's books! 

I am now onto SHE WAS THE QUIET ONE, by Michele Campbell...

hi @CANDLEQUEEN - I also read Then She Was Gone, and although I found it interesting enought to keep reading, the ending confused me. If you read about the book and the author on Goodreads, it appears she wrote two endings, and the one published was chosen. Honestly, the other one made more sense to me. It was a strange end, BUT it did hold my attention until the ending.

@sunala Hi Sunala. Yes I remember reading about that at the end of the book. Very interesting. I will have to read it again, but have already passed the book to my friend...I  can't quite remember the alternate ending, but I know there were two different ones.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Summer of Sunahine & Margot. a nice change of pace than I usually read, it was enjoyable!  Warning it contained some explicit sexual parts, so if these offend you, I suggest you skip this book.

Next up, Tell me everything by Cambria Brockman, will post when I finish!

Honored Contributor

I recently read The Most Fun We Ever Had.  Story of the relationships between four sisters.  It is debut novel for Claire Lombardo.  I loved her style of writing.  It was the best book I have read in quite awhile.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala I'm not a regular poster on this Forum, but I happened to see it on the recent forum posts list. I've just begun The Federalist Papers, and am really in to them! I started them last year and just couldn't get going. But this year is different. It's great to see how excited and enthusiastic our early founders were about this country.

The book I regret spending money for is Gone Girl. My SIL insisted I get it. What a waste of time. 

Trusted Contributor

am reading Steven Kings new book THE INSTITUTE.

It’s sooo good I can’t put it down, classic King!

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Secrets we Kept by Lara Prescott.  Although it was on many best of lists for September, I originally hadn’t intended to “read” it but for the fact that it was Reese Witherspoon’s monthly book club pick.  And, I’m happy that I did! I personally didn’t know the history of Dr Zhivago and how the CIA used the book as propaganda against the USSR during the Cold War. But, I especially liked the parts of the book that took place in Russia between the writer Pasternak and his lover.  Since it’s a work of fiction (based on actual facts), some of the fictional parts may have skewed a little to the soapy.  But, I actually didn’t mind them as they didn’t overtake the story.

Although I’m happy to see @DiAnne ‘s positive review of “The Most Fun We Ever Had”, I just don’t think I’m ready for the 20.5 hours Audible narration. Will try to move it up in rotation though, before it gets too old.  Instead I’m going to try “The Long Call” by Ann Cleves, which has also been on some best of the month lists, although I can’t for the life of me remember what it’s about!!

In an aside, I was surprised to see that another Lizbeth Salander book came out recently. I remember what an event it was when the first Dragon Tattoo trilogy came out.  Now, with the new author? Meh.  I will still probably download it to Kindle and read it eventually.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm about half way through The Borgias by Paul Strathern.  Really fascinating family.  Ruthless family in pursuit of power.  Reads like fiction but is History.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@sunala I'm not a regular poster on this Forum, but I happened to see it on the recent forum posts list. I've just begun The Federalist Papers, and am really in to them! I started them last year and just couldn't get going. But this year is different. It's great to see how excited and enthusiastic our early founders were about this country.

The book I regret spending money for is Gone Girl. My SIL insisted I get it. What a waste of time. 

hi @PA Mom-mom - it's so nice to meet you, and welcome to our reading thread!

I don't know if I could read The Federalist Papers, but I'm very happy you are enjoying it. I can understand how this year is so different from any other, and the enjoyment you are receiving from reading it.

My copy of Gone Girl was a library book. I'd be upset if I paid more than two cents for it. What a terrible piece of junk I wasted my time on. Fortunately, I don't waste much time on books I don't enjoy. I know some people will finish a book even if they hate it. I have no time for that anymore. If a book is no good after a reasonable time, I pull the bookmark and I'm on my way.

I hope you will come back and visit us again. We never close!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett