Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

I just finished PRINCESS: A PRIVATE NOVEL by JAMES PATTERSON & Rees Jones.

Well, I keep saying I am not going to read any more Patterson books authored by someone else. I got this one free. Good thing. Poor writing as expected. I got sick of it, skipped 100 pages, and still no surprise in the ending. Oh my. Save your money. One word...formulaic. LM
Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@smoky22  - Here's good news about two upcoming books:

"THE PEPPERMINT TEA CHRONICLES" by Alexander McCall Smith - a new Scotland Street book coming out in the UK on July 11th.  I will have to save up for that.

"ICE COLD HEART" by P. J. Tracy - a new Monkeewrench book coming out on September 10th.

@dawg lover  as usual, you've made my day.  Thanks!  The title of that Scotland Street book strikes me as a little strange (for that series).   And according to Amazon, it will not be available in the US until December.  Bummer.  But I'm glad the series isn't over.

Same for the Monkeewrench series.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Cathy Guisewite's Fifty Things That Aren't My Fault.  I loved Cathy's comic strips and was so sad when she stopped writing them years ago.  This has to be one of my favorite nf books I've read in a long time and I'm not a big nf fan.

Onto Lorna Landvik's Chronicles Of A Radical Hag.  It's been a while since I've read one of her books.  Looking forward to it.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Well, I keep saying I am not going to read any more Patterson books authored by someone else. I got this one free. Good thing. Poor writing ad expected. I got sick of it, skipped 100 pages, and still no surprise in the ending. Oh my. Save your money. One word...formulaic. LM

I read this book as well and thought it was awful.  Some of the books in the Private series are good and others, not so much.  His Alex Cross series, the Michael Bennett series, the NYPD Red series, and the Women's Murder Club are all consistently good.  Most of his books co-authored by Howard Roughan or Candace Fox are good as well.  Any other co-author, I don't bother to read.

Regular Contributor

My mood reading and a bout of insomnia took me in another direction last night and I read Make Me Bad by RS Grey. This is a romance novel about a children's librarian and daughter of the town police chief finding love. It was a fun, quick read!

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

Well, I keep saying I am not going to read any more Patterson books authored by someone else. I got this one free. Good thing. Poor writing ad expected. I got sick of it, skipped 100 pages, and still no surprise in the ending. Oh my. Save your money. One word...formulaic. LM

I read this book as well and thought it was awful.  Some of the books in the Private series are good and others, not so much.  His Alex Cross series, the Michael Bennett series, the NYPD Red series, and the Women's Murder Club are all consistently good.  Most of his books co-authored by Howard Roughan or Candace Fox are good as well.  Any other co-author, I don't bother to read.

@dawg lover , thanks!  LM

Honored Contributor

Where The Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens;        Excellant book, broke my heart.

The Girls At 17 Swann Street,  by Yara Zgheib.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished "The Forgotten Garden " by Kate Morton.  All I will say is this book will rank among my top reads ever. Did not want it to end. So beautifully written.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished All Things Slip Away by Kathryn Meyer Griffith.  This is the second book in the Spookie Town Murder Mysteries, and it was better than the first book.

The two main characters are Abigail Sutton and Frank Lester.  Frank is a former Chicago detective, and a case that he could not close 10 years before makes its way to Spookie.   

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@dawg lover , thanks!  LM

@Lilysmom 

The Private series is horrible, and I consider myself a James Patterson Fan. I stopped after two.  I would agree with @dawg lover with some series of books being better than others.  The ones that I have enjoyed the most are the NYPD Red Series, Michael Bennett, and the Women's murder club.