Respected Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

I also read Siege by Michael Wolff.  More of the same, really.

Respected Contributor

Now I'm reading The Hollow of Fear (Sherry Thomas), the third in the Lady Sherlock series.  Very enjoyable so far.  

Esteemed Contributor

I read An American Marriage.  Goodreads rated it 4 out of 5.  I thought it was just ok.  LM

Regular Contributor

Summer is made for reading!
I finished:
Searching for Sylvie Lee by Jean Kwok - Though it has had some rave reviews, it just wasn't for me. I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I was just not in the right frame of mind??

The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden by Karina Yan Glaser - This is the second in a Middle Grade novel series that is EXCELLENT! I loved it and can't wait to read book 3 this fall!

A Highlander Walked Into a Bar by Laura Trentham - this was an ARC from NetGalley and I didn't care for it that much. I thought it was a little slow and the characters didn't really appeal to me. The thing that kept me going was the setting - part South (Georgia) and part Highland (Scotland).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Mother In Law by Sally Hepworth.  Two thumbs up.

Queen Bee by Dorthea Benton Frank.  One thumb up.

Contributor

I'm being a bit aggressive with my reading this month, with several books going at once.

UPDATED REVIEWS ***

THE SOLDIER'S WIFE by Joanna Trollope - 50 pages in. Not really grabbing me yet. Not sure I will stick with it.
DIDN'T STICK WITH IT. GAVE IT ABOUT 70 PAGES BEFORE PULLING THE BOOKMARK

THE PARAGON HOTEL by Lyndsay Faye - only read the first chapter so far but it seems like it will be good. I like the writing style.
VERY GOOD. GAVE IT 4 STARS.

ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN: THE JOURNALS OF MAY DODD by Jim Fergus - picked up at the library yesterday after hearing it recommended by a YouTube book blogger.
I ENJOYED THIS ONE. A BIT GRAPHIC IN PARTS BUT I ENDED UP GIVING IT 4 STARS.

AFTER ANNA by Lisa Scottoline - listening on audio in my car. Male and female narrators who are easy to listen to. It goes back and forth between "before" and "after" an event. Seems promising.
5 STARS. IT WAS WELL DONE WITH AN UNEXPECTED TWIST AT THE END.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET  you okay?  Haven't seen you around lately I don't think?  You're a fast reader.  Hope all is well.

@LoriLori, I'm here.  I just posted a few days ago what I finished and what I was reading. LOL.  I tend to read a book every 4 days and then take a break for a day or 2.

Saw your review on Binnie Kirshenbaum's book. I definitely want to read it.  I had it on my tbr list since I saw it was coming out.  Did you read her first one An Almost Perfect Moment?  I gave it 4 stars but my review got lost when it moved over from Shelfari to Goodreads years ago.

Jane, sorry.  Seemed like more than two days.  I've never read anything by that author and I never will again. 

There's a weird disconnect:  reviewers on Goodreads mostly love it and reviewers on Amazon mostly gave it one star.  And almost every review I read in both places spoils the ending.  Why do people do that?  Grrrrrr.

Honored Contributor

I already mentioned this book but I've started it and want to tell you, it's going to be huge so if you love well-written nonfiction you want to got on your library's list now:

Norco '80:  The True Story of the Most Spectacular Bank Robbery in History by Peter Houlahan. 

4.36 average on Goodreads. 

I didn't think a book about a bank robbery would be my thing but it's way more involved than that.  It's so engrossing I wish I could do nothing but read it 24/7. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline  Every time I see One Thousand White Women mentioned now I think of you thinking of me LOL. This is my last comment related to it.  Hope all is well with you and yours!!!!

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET  you okay?  Haven't seen you around lately I don't think?  You're a fast reader.  Hope all is well.

@LoriLori, I'm here.  I just posted a few days ago what I finished and what I was reading. LOL.  I tend to read a book every 4 days and then take a break for a day or 2.

Saw your review on Binnie Kirshenbaum's book. I definitely want to read it.  I had it on my tbr list since I saw it was coming out.  Did you read her first one An Almost Perfect Moment?  I gave it 4 stars but my review got lost when it moved over from Shelfari to Goodreads years ago.

Jane, sorry.  Seemed like more than two days.  I've never read anything by that author and I never will again. 

There's a weird disconnect:  reviewers on Goodreads mostly love it and reviewers on Amazon mostly gave it one star.  And almost every review I read in both places spoils the ending.  Why do people do that?  Grrrrrr.

That's why I don't read reviews anywhere before reading a book.  If I see on on GR while skimming, I pass by it.  If people want to spoil it, use the spoilers tab on GR.