Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

@Janey2 Hi. I read my first Frieda Klein but felt I should have read the first one first. I am weird, I liked the part with the cops better than the Frieda parts-I just wanted a murder mystery and this was just a little too involved with family, etc, but thanks anyway Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom It's called The Second Life of Nick Mason. It explains how he got into the fix he's in and why he did it. I thought it was good and went for the second one but it got to me-the killings. I knew what I was in for but it was hard to digest. He's such a good writer.

Sorry I was late getting to your post but Jewel covered for me, lol.

Trusted Contributor

I read I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can by Tom Bergeron.

Beginner's Luck by Laura Pedersen which was about a 16 year old girl unhappy at home and at school who gets a job with a family of eccentrics and ends up moving in with them. It was a charming quirky little book and now I've discovered that there are three other books in this series so I may have to continue reading the adventures of Hallie Palmer.

I also read The Good Girl by Mary Kubika which was a pretty good novel with a twist at the end. It was a quick read told from alternating points of view.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@sward05 I have read "The Bookshop On The Corner", nice, easy & delightful read for me!

Esteemed Contributor

I FINALLY finished The Fix by David Baldacci, the third book in his "Amos Decker" series.

I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. The book took me 9 days to read, which is a VERY long time for me. It dragged terribly in the middle, but I thought the beginning and the ending were pretty good.

Not sure which book I'll start next. Happy reading everyone.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@sward05 I have read "The Bookshop On The Corner", nice, easy & delightful read for me!

It was wonderful and so are her cupcake and Christmas books in case you have not read them yet. @CareBears

http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/jenny-colgan/

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 Thanks so much for the link, I had added a few of her books to my ever growing wish list, but this link will make it so easy, I really enjoyed her writing!

Honored Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

I read I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can by Tom Bergeron.

Beginner's Luck by Laura Pedersen which was about a 16 year old girl unhappy at home and at school who gets a job with a family of eccentrics and ends up moving in with them. It was a charming quirky little book and now I've discovered that there are three other books in this series so I may have to continue reading the adventures of Hallie Palmer.

I also read The Good Girl by Mary Kubika which was a pretty good novel with a twist at the end. It was a quick read told from alternating points of view.

The Good Girl is next on my list to read!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I finally finished reading "The Song Rising" by Samantha Shannon.  A YA series that, when it started with "BoneSeason" several years ago, it was supposed to be the next Harry Potter.  Will eventually be a 7 book series.  Honestly, too many years have passed since the last book and it was hard to follow as, like Harry Potter, it takes place in its own world and has its own made up words and definitions.  There was a glossery at the end of the book that I didn't know until I was done.  I don't recommend, although I readily admit that I will probably keep getting the series because I can't stop now.  Only 3 books in.

A much better listen was "Beartown" by Fredrik Backman. There has already been quite a bit of praise noted here for this book, and I can only add.  I just felt that it was a very realistic story with realistic characters.  Enjoyed it.  For audible listeners, there is only one narrator - a woman with a lower octave voice that fit the story.

I am also 2/3 of the way through "Magpie Murders" by Anthony Horowitz, and I am really loving it.  Two mysteries for the price of one and I have no idea "who done it".

Valued Contributor

I have discovered two authors I have never read before.  Greg Isles (Dead Sleep) and Michael Robotham (Shatter).  I went to the library today and got another book from each.  Can't wait to dig in!

I keep telling myself that i won't check out but three or four books, and I always end up with about 7 or 8.  Know I can't read them all in two weeks, but I can't help myself.  I got a book that I had put on hold called The Woman in Cabin 10.  I've read mixed reviews about it.