Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

@chihuahuamom, I do the same thing.  I go to the library for one book & I end up with 10.  Same as the grocery store.  I go for one thing & end up spending $30.00.  

Reading Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler.  

Trusted Contributor

Death of Riley, A Molly Murphy Mystery by Rhys Bowen

The Fixer by Joseph Finder

Just starting on these!

Just finished two Southern Sisters Mysteries     

Murder Makes Waves and Murder Gets A Life

(Maybe I need to get a life and do something somewhat productive!)

Respected Contributor

I'm reading Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.  Very suspenseful.  It took me awhile to get into it but now I can't put it down. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@chihuahuamom, I do the same thing.  I go to the library for one book & I end up with 10.  Same as the grocery store.  I go for one thing & end up spending $30.00.  

Reading Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler.  

@kitty45- Breathing Lessons is one of my very favorite Anne Tyler books, although all of her books are favorites. It also won the Pulitzer Prize!

If you love it, find the movie and watch it after you're finished reading. It's with Joanne Woodward and James Garner. It was just wonderful!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading "Not A Sound" by "Heather Gudenkauf", this is the 1st book I have read by this author and I must say I am impressed!

Amelia Winn is involved in a tragic accident that leaves her deaf, which in turn begins her downward spiral from life!  She has cut herself off from family, friends and seems to only connect with her therapy dog "Stitch" and one friend from her childhood.

Just as she has allowed herself to begin the process of entering into the "real" world, yet again another tragedy rears it's ugly head when she discovers the body of a woman while she is out on her paddle board, this woman is not just any woman but a former co-worker and friend, and it appears she has been murdered.

This is where the real story begins, because of her relationship with the deceased Amelia feels it her duty to get to the bottom of this crime!  

Each new clue she uncovers brings her closer to danger, and her world is turned upside down yet again, but this time will she survive?

I really enjoyed this book, lots of nail biting moments!  It also brought the world of being deaf in today's society to the forefront, those of us who are not hearing impaired have no idea how losing your hearing can send a person into an unknown darkness that brings constant fear and confusion, I highly recommend that when you finish reading this book to read the author's note, I know I found it surprising & informative!

Valued Contributor

Last night I finished The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. I really enjoyed this book.  Unusual characters and interplay between religion, science,and superstition made for an interesting read; although I must admit the beautiful cover attracted me initially.

AMAZON OVERVIEW OF NOVEL

When Cora Seaborne’s brilliant, domineering husband dies, she steps into her new life as a widow with as much relief as sadness: her marriage was not a happy one. Wed at nineteen, this woman of exceptional intelligence and curiosity was ill-suited for the role of society wife. Seeking refuge in fresh air and open space in the wake of the funeral, Cora leaves London for a visit to coastal Essex, accompanied by her inquisitive and obsessive eleven-year old son, Francis, and the boy’s nanny, Martha, her fiercely protective friend. While admiring the sites, Cora learns of an intriguing rumor that has arisen further up the estuary, of a fearsome creature said to roam the marshes claiming human lives. After nearly 300 years, the mythical Essex Serpent is said to have returned, taking the life of a young man on New Year’s Eve. A keen amateur naturalist with no patience for religion or superstition, Cora is immediately enthralled, and certain that what the local people think is a magical sea beast may be a previously undiscovered species. Eager to investigate, she is introduced to local vicar William Ransome. Will, too, is suspicious of the rumors. But unlike Cora, this man of faith is convinced the rumors are caused by moral panic, a flight from true belief. These seeming opposites who agree on nothing soon find themselves inexorably drawn together and torn apart—an intense relationship that will change both of their lives in ways entirely unexpected.

Respected Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I'm reading Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.  Very suspenseful.  It took me awhile to get into it but now I can't put it down. 

@Catty2, please post your thoughts after you finish it.  I love getting feedback on this book; it was a real head-scratcher for me!

Valued Contributor

@chihuahuamom Greg Iles is outstanding.  

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to "Magpie Murders" by Anthony Horowitz.  An Amazon book of the month for June, I really enjoyed the old fashioned whodunnit (s).

A book editor is given the latest manuscript in the series of Atticus Pund mystery novels when, just as the Poirot-like detective announces he knows who the murderer is, the editor discovers that the final chapters are missing from her draft!  Returning to work the next day, she learns that the author has committed suicide...or has he?  As she searches for the final chapters, she begins to doubt it.

It's really two mysteries in one, with two narrators for the audible listener.  The bulk of the first half of the book is the Atticus Pund mystery - up until the missing chapters are discovered.  Then, the book shifts to the editor's investigation, until the end when we finally hear the finale of Pund's.  I'm not sure if this is considered a "cozy mystery" or not, but I did enjoy listening to it.

Valued Contributor

I just finished another Michael Robotham book called Say You're Sorry.  The other book of his I read is called Shatter. He is a really good author.  I wanted to read both of these books straight through! This latest book is about two teenage girls who are kidnapped and held in a dungeon like room for three years before one escapes. The main character is a pyschologist who is helping the police try to find the girls (he was in Shattered also).  I plan to read all of his books.