Super Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

The Doll Factory by Elizabeth MacNeal.  This is a very good book about twin sisters, Rose and Iris,  working in doll factory & one wants to be a painter.  One of the characters, Silas, is a taxedermy whose nickname is Cadaver.  There are some very disturbing themes about animals & they way Silas acquires them.  I had to skip these parts.  I don't have a strong stomach! 

Trusted Contributor

Many thanks to the posters who recommended "TH1RT3EN" (13) by Steve Cavanagh.  Great legal thriller, a real page-turner.  I really enjoyed it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murders of Crows by Kydd Burns, the first book in the Hillary Hauptmann Mystery series.  I was not sure about this book, but it is written by a friend, so I continue reading.  The book's setting is a military base in Stuttgardt and there are many military abbreviations.  Once I got past the first few pages, I really enjoyed the book, and I always like a book with a strong woman lead as in this one.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

Many thanks to the posters who recommended "TH1RT3EN" (13) by Steve Cavanagh.  Great legal thriller, a real page-turner.  I really enjoyed it.

@dawg lover that was me & truly a great thriller!  I will be reading his next; TWISTED.  If you haven't read THE CHAIN by Adrian McKinty please consider it; movie rights just sold!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finshed Been There, Married That (ARC) by Gigi Levangie.  Hysterical book about Hollywood marriages and divorces.  A 4**** book.

What's up next?  Have to go through my 100 books to pick one that will appeal to me.  I can't read another women's fiction or about sisters (which is probably 80% of my books) so it'll have to be something different.

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Floating Feldmans, by Elyssa Friedland.  So enjoying taking a "family" cruise with a family who often forgets they are a family and should love each other.  Fun fast read.

I loved this book!! 

@SWEET  - okay I'm going to read it next time I take it out. I had it for 3 weeks but didn't get to it. Thanks for the heads up from you and @beckyb1012

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Floating Feldmans, by Elyssa Friedland.  So enjoying taking a "family" cruise with a family who often forgets they are a family and should love each other.  Fun fast read.

I loved this book!! 

@SWEET  - okay I'm going to read it next time I take it out. I had it for 3 weeks but didn't get to it. Thanks for the heads up from you and @beckyb1012

@sunala, One of top books so far.

Honored Contributor

@number one queen wrote:

I finally finished THE CHESTNUT MAN, really enjoyed the book. Once I got into it, the writer writes a bit different, one chapter will be about this, next chapter someone will be doing something and I thought I missed something. The book took longer to read as hubby's job issues took center.! The first part is slower then wham it really gets going and you don't know who did it,You can guess but  you will be wrong! I really love books that I can't figure out. So much more fun! 

Yes, wasn't it good? I guess so because it was on the best seller list for a long time. Anyway, I kept changing my mind about who the killer was. I was pretty sure I knew, then bam! Something changed me and I was sure I nailed the killer. I'll never look at a chestnut the same way again. 

Honored Contributor

Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I never saw the movie, although I know it was nomianted for several awards. The book is very good. It's a mystery that details the relationships among three boyhood friends throughout the years. I like Lehane's descriptions and his characterizations. Highly recommended. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain