Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MARCH, 2020

@BirkiLady wrote:

The Suspect by Fiona Barton (4 Stars) Audio CD

House of the Rising Sun by James Lee Burke (4.5 Stars)

@BirkiLady , I am such a fan of James Lee Burke.  I read everything he wrote.  Atmospheric, moody, gritty.  LM

Respected Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Fans of Southern fiction-I have a good one for you.  It's If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss.  I'm not a fan of the genre, but somehow this one just clicked for me.  It's a relatively fast, easy read, so it helped keep my mind off the pandemic.  Good escapism, I guess.  I do recommend the book. 

@maximillianI thought this book was really good, too.  And I agree it's not my usual genre.   

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

Fans of Southern fiction-I have a good one for you.  It's If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss.  I'm not a fan of the genre, but somehow this one just clicked for me.  It's a relatively fast, easy read, so it helped keep my mind off the pandemic.  Good escapism, I guess.  I do recommend the book. 

@maximillianI thought this book was really good, too.  And I agree it's not my usual genre.   

I just downloaded this book.  Thanks for the reviews.  I do like southern authors in general.

I have started THE COLD COLD GROUND by Adrian McKinty and have THE CHAIN downloaded by the same author.

Occasional Contributor

Occasional Contributor

HOW TO READ LIBRARY BOOKS WHEN ITS CLOSED:
On your electronic device, download the “Overdrive” app from your App Store. Then set up an account using your library card number. This will allow you to download books from your library and read them even when the library is closed!! Great during this stressful time when our libraries are closed. Happy reading - stay safe everyone!
Trusted Contributor

@pateacher,

When our library opens again, The Splendid and the Vile will be waiting for me.  I've read Erik Larson's earlier books.  I'm looking forward to reading this one.

In addition, before all this craziness, Mr. Larson was going to be at our local high school to discuss this book.  I had my ticket, was so looking forward to seeing him in person.  Hopefully it can be rescheduled.

Speaking of Winston Churchill, I am reading Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict.  It's the story of WC's wife.  Marie Benedict also wrote Carnegie's Maid and The Only Woman in the Room.  I've read both and enjoyed them.

Lady Clementine: A Novel

Honored Contributor

Just passing by and want to say hi.

@Judaline  letting you know I'm here and gone again Smiley Wink  Will keep you in the loop, my friend.

I've had trouble concentrating.  Me so at risk and in such a scary place, one cousin was a supervisor at one of the hospitals with the most incredible conditions (NYers, at LIJ) and only recently retired and is not going back but has so many friends, she was nursing supervisor most recently, and has RN friends at other hospitals in the city and Long Island and has told me things I wish I could unhear but my gawd if people pray, which I do not, pray for her former colleagues/dear friends...

And another cousin (I only have five first cousins and three are involved with this thing in NY) now never knowing what day she will be sent to the big part of the hospital (for NYers, Phelps) to work there and not in this other buildling.

And another cousin, in Manhattan, has it.  And I'm least worried about her.  She's older than me, has a ton of risk factors as does her husband, he has even more.  He never got it.  Her daughter never got it.  She said he had the five sickest days of her live but since then (two weeks) it's been okay.

They couldn't even test her.  She was diagnosed by the health dept. via Skype.  She's desperate for a test when her buildilng management lets her out because a) this will confirm her fam is immune and b) then her blood becomes valuable to science.  But who knew.  There's almost no tests there but not enough there either.  I only knew about the bodies in refrigerator trucks and the small arena just outside the tri-state area being readed to hold bodies.

And one of the cousin's wife's niece on the other side whose darling niece I know well is due this week, whose husband will not be allowed in the hospital.  She's terrified.  And he's going to miss the birth of their child but she's going to have to go it alone.

And my cousin's daughter whose large and beautiful wedding is almost certain to be cancelled.

(And if you think is too long and/or are going to leave a nasty message here -- why are you still reading?  Is your life really that pathetic?  I pity you two.)

Never mind my issues.  Piece of cake next to so many others.

So I can't read.  I've bought so many books and put one down and pick one up and bless GR because I've been reading other peoples' reviews, kinown as updates.  I love it.  Twenty different friends' views of the same book.  A few hilarious friends who read stalker-y stuff I'd never touch but write really funny reviews.

And I bought some poetry, and re-joined Audible, and hope that helps.

All of you:  stay well, stay safe, enjoy your reading, this place like GR is an oases!  So shout-out to @sunala  dear thread-starter and Alice Hoffman-lover and everyone who gives and gets so much here every month.  💗💗💗

(btw one of the things I got for the blasted Fire is a naughty graphic novel hahahahaha.  I'm like I'll try anything.  But I think the poetry and the reviews are just the thing not Lick It Man, a superhero who...hahahahahaha, sounds better than it is 🤣🤣🤣

Be well!

Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

@pateacher,

When our library opens again, The Splendid and the Vile will be waiting for me.  I've read Erik Larson's earlier books.  I'm looking forward to reading this one.

In addition, before all this craziness, Mr. Larson was going to be at our local high school to discuss this book.  I had my ticket, was so looking forward to seeing him in person.  Hopefully it can be rescheduled.

Speaking of Winston Churchill, I am reading Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict.  It's the story of WC's wife.  Marie Benedict also wrote Carnegie's Maid and The Only Woman in the Room.  I've read both and enjoyed them.

Lady Clementine: A Novel

@roeroe1005  I enjoyed  Lady Clementine and Carnegie's Maid. The Only Woman in the Room is on my list of books that I want to read.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  So glad you checked in. (just don't check out, hahaha-guess that's not funny). I liked your post but of course didn't like it. The more I watch tv the more I get depressed. But one good thing-my daughter who is usually on the outs with us has been getting us groceries and we have gotten closer (thru our patio door yelling back and forth thru her car window). Anyway, like the WWll poster said, "we can do this." Keep checking in-snow and I keep in touch weekly.Heart

Honored Contributor

@Judaline   

Hey, Jud.  Came back because I knew it wouldn't take long.  My love and thoughts to Snow and her family and loved ones.  Sorry you're so depressed but glad about the unintended consequences with your daughter!  See all these hearts in the window things?  Out of the most awful things good people take a sad song and make it better 💗  Stay well, dear Jud.