Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2020

Just finished Hide by Lisa Gardner, it was excellent! I am now starting Unraveling Oliver, by Liz Nugent. Sounds really good.

Trusted Contributor

I read Master Class by Christina Dalcher. A dystopian novel set in the not too distant future where all the people are classified according to their intelligence.  The book follows one family and what happens when one of their daughter's classification drops beneath the highest level.

I also read The Wedding Sisters by Jamie Brenner. I was attracted to this book because the three sisters were named Amy, Meg and Jo.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  Hope you are feeling better. Sounds like the flu (or whatever) is nasty this year. 

Those CD's are so relaxing if housebound. However, I tend to fall asleep if not doing something else (like cooking or cleaning or shredding old documents). A good book and turning pages is much better for me! It will be delightful when I'm able to see 100% again. The vision in my right eye is about 60% right now, which is a huge improvement and makes me very happy so far. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See (Audio CD) 4+ Stars

Someone Knows by Lisa Scottoline (Audio CD) 3 Stars

The Friends We Keep by Jane Green (Audio CD) 3.75 Stars

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished and really enjoyed  "America for Beginners" by Leah Franqui.

'A funny, poignant, and insightful debut novel that explores the complexities of family, immigration, prejudice, and the American Dream through meaningful and unlikely friendships forged in unusual circumstances.

Recently-widowed Pival has has booked a trip across the U.S. but she is not interested in sightseeing. She is traveling thousands of miles from India to New York on a cross-country journey to California, where she hopes to uncover the truth about her beloved son Rahi and come to terms with her own life.

Arriving in New York, the tour proves to be more complicated than anticipated. Planned by the company’s indefatigable owner, it is a work of haphazard improvisation. Pival’s guide is the company’s new hire, the guileless and wonderfully resourceful Satya and accompanying them is Rebecca, an aspiring young actress. 

Slowly making her way from coast to coast with her unlikely companions, Pival finds that her understanding of her son—and her hopes of a reunion with him—are challenged by her growing knowledge of his adoptive country. As the bonds between this odd trio deepens, Pival, Satya, and Rebecca learn to see America—and themselves—in different and profound new ways.

A bittersweet and bighearted tale of forgiveness, hope, and acceptance, America for Beginners illuminates the unexpected enchantments life can hold, and reminds us that our most precious connections aren’t always the ones we seek.'

Respected Contributor

Today I finished All the Forgivenesses by Elizabeth Hardinger.  It starts out in 1906 in rural Kentucky.  Growing up on their hardscrabble farm, 15-year old Albertina "Bertie" has learned a lot from her mama including how to look after her siblings as a mother should.  When her mother succumbs to a long illness, Bertie takes on the responsibility of her four younger siblings and their unreliable daddy.  The family eventually has to split up for their own survival.  Bertie marries young, grateful to find a husband willing to take on the care of her sisters, and eventually moves to the oil fields of Kansas.  They go through a lot, good and bad.  I really enjoyed this book and the characters in it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus , I started to read The Stand today but it seems like I have read this before.  I am thinking I started it and didn't have time to finish it.  It is very long as you know.  Hate that!  Not like me to forget anything by Stephen King.

Have you read The Outsider or Duma Key?  Both fabulous.  There is now a tv series of The Outsider, very true to the book and very good.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@icezeus , I started to read The Stand today but it seems like I have read this before.  I am thinking I started it and didn't have time to finish it.  It is very long as you know.  Hate that!  Not like me to forget anything by Stephen King.

Have you read The Outsider or Duma Key?  Both fabulous.  There is now a tv series of The Outsider, very true to the book and very good.  LM

@Lilysmom 

I have not but I fell off the Stephen King Bandwagon many years ago, He lost me after he wrote a book called Tommy Knockers, which was one of the stupidest books that I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Although, 10 or 15 years ago I did read Misery and The Green Mile, which I enjoyed very much.

Regular Contributor

Guest Cottage by Robin Carr.  This is the latest addition to her Sullivan's Crossing series.  If you liked the others you will really enjoy this one.

The Lake shore Chronicles:   by Susan Wiggs

Summer at Willow Lake

The Winter Lodge

Dockside 

All three were good and  followed through with the characters.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus

Don't miss those two good books.  LM