Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  You probably don't remember but I'm the one who recommended Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs.  She describes stuff really well.  I learned some things.  Now I have to go and look up Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.  I don't usually do nonfiction, but this was a welcome exception.   

ETA:  I just checked and my library has Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, but Holy Cow, I'm # 26.  What the heck!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22    Thanks, pal!  LOVED Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, one of my Favorites of 2019 Smiley Happy  and loving Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs which is just as funny, just as icky and surprisingly charming, since she's writinng for kids Smiley Happy

I get soooooo much here.  💓, Smoky!

(and thank you as always @sunala  for this site I'm so grateful for)

Valued Contributor

I have been very busy,and late to the party for this book, it was great THE NANNY , by Gillie MacMillion, I enjoy every minute of it

Super Contributor

Trying to read One Day in December, by Josie Silver.  I;ve been in a reading slump lately.  I might return it early because for some reason it is getting on my nerves.  

It's a romance about a young woman who saw a young man sitting at a bus stop and feel for him in 2 seconds.  She spend almost a year looking for him.  Now she met him and he is her best friends boyfriend.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Night Of Miracles by Elizabeth this author always brings out my ugly cry, her books just touch my heart to the very core!  I started it this morning, it was such a touching book I did not want to put it down!

@CareBears  -  Elizabeth Berg is in my top three authors of all time. She's written many books and they've all been wonderful. Just when I think I've read the best book of hers, she comes out with another one i like even more. I've read every one of her books and love all of them to pieces!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I've been talking about this on the GR thread I started and the "I won!" thread but books are going to start drying up as NYC is the center of publishing.  And London etc.

And no way Backman gets published in September and even e-review copies are weeks late and all advance copies and then actual copies of new books that aren't already done will dry up.  for a time.

Example, email I just read:

Announcing publication TODAY of the latest book by Gail Honeyman, the author of

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

(a 10-star book I learned of here!)

published today, it says.  but there's no cover, no synopsis no book.... it has begun.

Respected Contributor

Finished Jennifer Ryan's Sisters and Secrets.  Typical sister type of book.  I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

Onto Lori Nelson Spielman's The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany.

Respected Contributor

LAST DAY. LUANNE RICE

PERFECT LITTLE CHILDREN. SOPHIE HANNAH

LOST BOY FOUND. KIRSTEN ALEXANDER

INNOCENT GRAVES. PETER ROBINSON

A WICKED SNOW. GREGG OLSEN

SEE THEM RUN. MARION TODD

Regular Contributor

I've just started The Queen's Fortune by Allison Pataki.  It's historical ficton about Desiree Clary, engaged to Napoleon before he met Josephine.  There was another book about her, published in the 1950's, I think, just called Desiree'.  A movie starring Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons was made out of that.  That was also an intriguing book.  Desiree had an amazing life and the things that happened to her are almost unbelieveable.

I have a stack of 8 additional new books to read and am expecting 4 new releases from Amazon next week, or whenever they are shipped out.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala  Martin Eden by Jack London. I wasn't aware of this novel, and I think it is semi-autobiographical. The jury is still out. Many of the references are outdated, but there is still the struggle of a person to better himself and his reasons for doing so.