Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

Every once in a while, I read a classic I missed out on in high school and college.  So, my latest is The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle.  I enjoyed it.  It seems a basic tale of good vs. evil; something I can understand, unlike the forces at play in our world in 2020.  It was good escapism; again I seem to gravitate to this kind of story in these unprecedented times. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the midst of Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light. loving it. The third in her Wolf Hall trilogy about Thomas Cromwell. She is a great writer.  I don't want this book to end!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunala   I’d love to have the whole Nancy Drew series to read again after almost sixty years. Just loved it.

I have a GR friend who has them and is doing exactly that.  Jealous.  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Reading "The Thornbirds" by Colleen McCullough.  Saw the movie/miniseries years ago with Richard Chamberlin as the priest.  Thoroughly enjoying the book, story is set in New Zealand and Australia.  Found this book recently at a library book sale.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Social distancing?"  I'm in lockdown.  Here (priorities)  they padlocked the PARKS here before they closed the restaurants and bars.  Great.

So I posted I can't concentrate and I've been through ten or eleven books and finally found THE ONE (if only it was that easy with men LOL)...

Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs:  Big Questions From Tiny Mortals About Death

by Caitlin Doughty

She wrote the marvelous Smoke Gets in Your Eyes about her mortuary training.  She is a degreed mortician with her own funeral home, a degree in creative writing and the wit of a stand-up comic.

Fiction didn't cut it.  This is nonfiction, questions she's been asked by kids throughout her career (and she's young). Questions adorable, answers, well that depends on your constitution.  I loved Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, gave it ten stars and awarded her a MacArthur Genius Grant Smiley Happy)

But not everyone can read nonfiction about death.

*not a spoiler:  dog lovers, she answers that too though the question was about cats 😉 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline   thank you for what you said last month which was of course yesterday.  Please keep it up.  I know you are without being asked.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Night Of Miracles by Elizabeth this author always brings out my ugly cry, her books just touch my heart to the very core!  I started it this morning, it was such a touching book I did not want to put it down!

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover  Just finishing The Dog that Whispered (thanks somebody here). Really enjoyed it. It's not just a dog story. Loved all the characters but especially Thurman, the black lab mix.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunala   I’d love to have the whole Nancy Drew series to read again after almost sixty years. Just loved it.

I have a GR friend who has them and is doing exactly that.  Jealous.  Smiley Happy

I can top that, @LoriLori . I have a BFF who has the whole set in her attic which  she read in grade school. Probably worth a fortune now, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline  If I' had one more inch in which to store a book (I'll be putting my linens over books soon) I'd start the bidding!  Thanks for sharing that.