Frequent Contributor

I read this book last week and what a disappointment. Lazy plotting and writing. Totally predictable. What is up with all the domestic abuse so-called mysteries?  They are all melding into the same book. There are other topics to base a mystery on. This book is writing by formula and not very good at it. Haven't disliked a book in a long time but this one managed to get my ire. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop I am about 2/3 through this book and I am having a hard time putting it down, I am really enoying it also!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears, the reason this book is so meaningful is because I am at the age of memory opportunities, lol!  Can't wait to see how you like it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShopI am so loopy from allergy pills and cold tablets half of the time I do not know what day it is or what month it is, i I sent my sister her birthday card last week thinking it was already August 25th it wasn't until she called me and said Thanks for the card but aren't you a little early I replied at least I did not forget, I think I might have the same problem the main character is having as I have no idea what is going on?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Breakdown

[ Edited ]

I just finished the audiobook and, although I still don't think I will read anything else from this author, I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the ending.

I ended up speeding up the audiobook to 1.25 speed and, I think, it helped make the narrator seem more urgent and desperate.  Nevertheless, there is still so much whining about the same three things that a person can take.  Once Cass figures things out, the story becomes much more interesting.

A not great book, but with a slightly (to me) original ending.

Spoiler
It is very obvious early on what is going on with Cass - I can't explain what it was but you know that there is only one explanation.  However, once Cass was given the phone (a kind of lazy plot device, actually), I admit that I had 2nd thoughts about who the murderer was.  A part of me began thinking that Cass would end up with Jane's husband, only to find out he was the murderer the entire time.  Fade to black. The End.  But, my original murderer choice ended up being correct.  I just thought it was interesting the way it came about.

Edited to add - the UK Home Shoppng Network makes an appearance in the book!  I actually found this kind of funny...but that's only because I always have it on for background in my house.   Ha Ha!  

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop I really enjoyed "The Breakdown", at one point I had guessed the outcome but I quickly dismissed it thinking "no, that could not be right", but I was right.  I thought the author did a really good job and was very meticulous on the planning  and how the main character was set up, that took quite a bit of thought to make things just right.  I have read two books by this author and will definitely check out any more in the future, this author really does want the readers to think twice about who you trust in your personsal life!