Honored Contributor

PROS & CONS OF KINDLES?

[ Edited ]

I thought I'd get a little basic information on these tablets, out of curiousity.   I can't imagine not holding an actual book, but I really like to read, so who knows?

To my knowledge, QVC has never sold kindles, and I don't know anyone who has one .... well, that has mentioned having one.    I was hoping to see a demo, so I stopped at my local Walmart and asked an Electronics clerk if they had any kindles  ..... and he pointed me to the area in the store that sells CANDLES!    No, I said, I want to look at a kindle (and I spelled it for him).   He said he'd never heard of such a thing and directed me to his manager, who said they only carry them online, not in their stores.

Okay, I give up ....   I want to learn the basics and hear owners' pros and cons.   How heavy are they?   Any stores you know of give demos?   How much do books cost?   How do I know if this is for me ... or just too much trouble?   

Any feedback is appreciated!   TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PROS & CONS OF KINDLES ?

Check out Amazon. They have different Kindles. My husband loves his. It's nice not to have tons of books around they house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my Kindle.  I have the Paperwhite.  According to Amazon's website it's 7.2 oz.  I got my first Kindle years ago, and have had this one for several years.  It's very lightweight.  It has a backlight that makes it easy to read in all lighting situations.  You can read outside without a glare.  

I ordered mine from Amazon, but they do sell them locally at Best Buy.  You can check Best Buy online to see if they have them at your store.  I don't know anyone who has one that doesn't love it.  I'm sure I haven't answered all your questions, so please ask if there's anything else you want to know.  

My battery is low on my laptop, so I have to plug it in for a while, but will be back later.  I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I ADORE my Kindle Paper White. Go to Amazon and read up on them.

I hear Best Buy sells them but when my old Kindle died I bought my PW directly from Amazon, same as my first one.

I wouldn't get any other ereader! Loooove mine!

Honored Contributor

I'm on my third kindle, and so far I have no cons. I purchased through Amazon, and their customer service and tech support is terrific .  I have been a voracious reader my whole life, and I love books, but it's the story I care about, not the delivery system . My home is small, and it is lovely to have all the books I want, even though my space is limited. Also with an e-reader you can adjust the font size and light.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

QVC has sold Kindles.  I think that they were a TSV more than once.  I got mine directly from Amazon and love it.  My husband, sister, nieces...you get the idea, all have them for reading books as well as use as a tablet to check email, shop online, etc.

Occasional Contributor

I have a Kindle Fire, which I bought from QVC a few years ago. It's a tablet and reader in one. I love mine.  You can download the Overdrive app and then check out digital books from your library. If you can get multiple library cards, the selection is even better. There is also Kindle Unlimited. You can get a free 30-day trial of it to give it a test run. There are magazines included as well. I also have a early Kindle reader, which is fine; but I love the versatility of the Kindle Fire. I seldom use my laptop anymore, as it's so easy to check email or surf the web.

Can't think of any cons right now for the Kindle Fire.

Trusted Contributor

The Kindle and the Kindle Fire are two different things.  The Kindles are strickly e-readers.  I have the basic one and the Paperwhite.  Love them both.  The big plus to the Paperwhite is the light so you can read in the dark.  They are much lighter in weight that the Kindle Fire.  The Kindle Fire is also a tablet that, as mentioned, you can surf the web on, check e-mails, etc.  Although it has a light it is backlit and harder on the eyes.  I have both the basic Kindle and the Kindle Fire and an iPad and I never read on the Kindle Fire or the iPad.  They are much heavier to hold and harder on the eyes. I much prefer the Kindle e-readers for reading books.  HTH

Esteemed Contributor

I have owned/own 14 kindles ( most are Fire tablets).  They are great (even the 7" for $49.  My favorite is my old 8.9 Hdx but the battery just died ( I ordered another battery and techie son can put it in).  I may eventually buy an 8 or a 10 inch.  

You could order a seven and an 8" from Amazon and return either or both.  Amazon is very good about returns.

Honored Contributor

You don't have to have a Kindle to read books online.  I download onto my tablets, both an iPad and a Samsung, and read them there.  I like that I can carry it with me and read books and my magazines anywhere.  I also like not having to store books.  I don't have room for a lot of them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment