Esteemed Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Epicurean wrote:

I recently finished Jodi Picoults latest,written with another author. MAD HONEY,the Mom raised bees and wash very interesting. The story was about a teenage couple,and the boy is accused of murdering her. Very good book.

Now Im reading D.Baldaccis newest memory man book. LONG SHADOWS is the title. I really like this character . He has had a head injury and forgets nothing. He's investigating a murder of a judge and her bodyguard and is not happy to have a new partner.m love this series 

@Epicurean - The main character, Amos Decker in Long Shadows is part of the Memory Man series by David Baldacci, about Amos who had an accident on the football field and got a head injury. He forgts nothing! He's a wonderful character and I've loved all his books. I'm looking forward to this one as well. I hope you enjoy it.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I finished reading OFFICE BFF's by Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey.  Read as a light break between two heavier reads for Governerd book club.  I'm sure the author meeting will be fun.  I didn't really watch The Office, so it wasn't really written for me.

I also finished OUR MISSING HEARTS by Celeste Ng and I'm sorry to say I didn't like it 🙁 I'm clearly in the minority.  It's beautifully written, but I just wasn't in the mood for her dystopian world. Maybe I'm just worn out with current events that I don't care to read about someone else's version of a near future authoritarian regime. It was also hard for me to get into the Audible - the books's beginning didn't grab me and, in fact, I even missed what I assume was an important part of the book (the line from Margaret's poem!)

So far, I'm having better luck listening to Spells for Forgetting. Enjoying it so far!

@Alter Ego - I'm not a fan of Celeste Ng. I read Everything I Never Told You in 2014, but I was very disappointed with the ending. I tried a few of her other books over the years and just couldn't get into them. She may be very famous and popular, but not with me.

Trusted Contributor

sunala,have read all the "memory man" books. I love the books and the main character.

Esteemed Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

sunala,have read all the "memory man" books. I love the books and the main character.

@Epicurean - I'm really glad you enjoy them as I do. I'm sure this is a very popular series. I hope his future books stay as interesting as his others. I just wish they would have kept his partner, the pretty blonde, who encouraged him to lose a ton of weight. Aside from being partners, they were good friends with just a "frisson" of s*exual tension between them to keep it interesting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Messy Lives Of Book People, by Phaedra Patrick.  

Liv has three cleaning jobs while putting two sons through college with her self-employed and overworked husband.  One of Liv's cleaning jobs is her favorite author, Essie. 

Liv wrote to her as a young girl about her own desire to be an author one day herself.  So, when the job came up Liv was delighted to learn is was in the home of her favorite author.  Liv and Essie have a fine but superficial relationship over the years.  Essie passes away and leaves instructions her death is not to be reported for 6 months and only on the date of November 1st.  Also, book 20 of her series is to be completed by Liv. and must be in the Publisher's hand by Nov. 1st. 

Only Liv and Essie's attorney know about any of this, not even Liv's husband.  Liv as to balance the lies to everyone, doing what her heart as always longed to do, writing, and completing this monstrous task.  As the November 1st deadline comes closer Liv will learn exactly what the Nov. 1st date really means.

@beckyb1012 - this sounds really good! It's already on my list. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Lynda Cohen Loigman has done it again with Jewish fiction.  The Matchmaker's Gift was a wonderful read. 

@SWEET I've read all her books and have enjoyed them all so much!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala  I really enjoyed "The Messy Lives Of Book People, I think you will enjoy it too!

Respected Contributor

I just started Forgotten Girl by Karin Slaughter.  Just started.  It is a new character who is newly trained as a US Marshall who's biological father is a serial killer.  Too soon to judge.  LM

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Lynda Cohen Loigman has done it again with Jewish fiction.  The Matchmaker's Gift was a wonderful read. 

@SWEET I've read all her books and have enjoyed them all so much!! 

@sunala 

Me too and I haven't read a bad one by her yet.  I can't say that about a lot of authors. I wonder what she's working on, if anything, next. 

Honored Contributor

Two books (Titles) that have passed me, and I wonder if anyone has read or plans to read:

1.  James Clear "Atomic Habits"  Not sure if this one interests me. Anyone read it?

2. (Nov 1)  Matthew Perry's Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing.  This one I'll look for at our library later.