Esteemed Contributor

OCTOBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Hello readers, fall is upon us. What books are on your list to read as the weather turns cooler and warmer drinks are enjoyed. 

I will tell you what I will not be reading. I finally pulled the book mark on The Palace Papers by Tina Brown. I know that a lot of people enjoyed this book, but 10 days after I began, I am only 1/2 way through.  I  find it boring and not interesting. Which surprises me because I normally enjoy reading about the royals. Perhaps, I am burned out with all things royal due to the Queens recent passing. 

On to my next book The Reversal by Michael Connelly.

Respected Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Just finished Fairy Tale by Stephen King, a favourite author.  This is not one of his best. In the middle of the book, it got bogged down.  Too long.  I would rate this 3/5 stars.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Hi @icezeus 

Have you read any books by Marie Benedict?  She rights historical fiction and most of her books are historical events from the perspective of the woman involved.  I really like her writing & the use of words.  The books usually have short chapters that make it easy to sneak in a quick read when I only have a few minutes.  

Here's a couple titles:

Carnegie's Maid

Mrs. Clementime

The Other Einstein

Respected Contributor

I finished my last September book which I started on 9/29 today. 

Cai Emmons Unleashed was first a normal family book and then it just got stranger and stranger.  I didn't finish her first one which was strange at best. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Stephen King's books but not fantasy.  Loved the first part of Fairy Tale and the end but not the middle.  

Then I read half of RJ Jacobs new psych thriller - Always The First To Die.  He's my late husband's cousin.  Didn't care for it.  I may go back to it just to finish it.  

So now I'm finally reading Big Little Lies and loving it.  

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

Hello readers, fall is upon us. What books are on your list to read as the weather turns cooler and warmer drinks are enjoyed. 

@icezeus   I love the Harry Bosch series but have never read The Lincoln Lawyer.  How do they compare? 

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @icezeus 

Have you read any books by Marie Benedict?  She rights historical fiction and most of her books are historical events from the perspective of the woman involved.  I really like her writing & the use of words.  The books usually have short chapters that make it easy to sneak in a quick read when I only have a few minutes.  

Here's a couple titles:

Carnegie's Maid

Mrs. Clementime

The Other Einstein

@justashopper 

No I have not read these books I lean heavily towards murder mysteries and thrillers.

The books you mentioned do sound interesting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@icezeus   I love the Harry Bosch series but have never read The Lincoln Lawyer.  How do they compare? 

@smoky22 

I enjoy them. Harry Bosch is also in these books  since this is the Mickey Haller series and they are 1/2 brothers. 

I think you should give it a try. This is the third book in the series and out of the two that I have completed, the second book "The Brass verdict" was my favorite. 

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished The Hunt by Faye Kellerman.  This is the newest installment in the Decker/Lazarus series.  There are two storylines in this book.  One involves Decker investigating a murder in his upstate New York community.  The other involves Gabe's parents, Terry McLaughlin and her ex-husband Chris Donatti.  Terry's son by her second marriage is kidnapped, Terry is badly beaten, and Chris steps in to "help."  This storyline is very disturbing.  It is very violent, including rape.  The language is very offensive.

I would have liked the book so much better if the Decker story had been expanded and the other one left out.  It is 483 pages long.  The author should have chosen one plot to build on the Decker/Lazarus characters instead of all the focus on two totally dysfunctional psychopathic people.

I cannot recommend this book.  It is too disturbing and violent.  It saddens me because the earlier books in this series are so good. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked some of the books by Faye Kellerman, but got away from reading them. When Decker moved to New York state, I lost interest. Gabe was OK, but he was in the story a lot. I liked when the book focused more on the Deckers' relationship (really like Rina). I won't be checking out her newest one. 

I'm almost finished with "The Lincoln Highway." This took some unexpected turns, but is well written. I want to know how it ends. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain