Honored Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY

@smoky22 wrote:

Racing The Light by Robert Crais.  I've been a fan of Elvis Cole through most of these books, but for some reason, I found the plot in this one just  uninteresting.  It gets 4 and 5 stars on Amazon, so it must be me. 

I've been wondering how this new book was. Personally, I thought the one before this wasn't up to snuff. Look how long it took for this new book to come out. He may be in a slump. (Not Elvis, Robert!)

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Light we Carry, by Michelle Obama.  I checked this book out Friday afternoon after leaving the office and took it back to the library drop box before I came in this Monday morning.  I flew through the book. It was wonderful.  I loved her "Becoming" book very much so I had high hopes for this one as well.  Michelle is an excellent writer.  I could read about her stories of her mother all day if she ever wanted to just write about her.

@beckyb1012 

I have requested this from my library about a week ago. Currently I am number 6 of 21.

I am good with that number because I currently have four books from the library at home.

Thank goodness 3 of the four have renewals available. 

Honored Contributor

I'm reading Stranger in the Woods by Anni Taylor. It's about an Australian photographer who takes an assignment in Scotland to photograph a property of a famous architect and stumbles upon a playhouse in the woods with a dark history. She finds out many secrets regarding the abduction of a young girl that puts her own life in peril. 
It started out a little slow, but it's turning out to be a real gripping suspense novel. I think I may have read about it here. Definitely worth checking out.

Esteemed Contributor

I just wrapped up Escape (A Billy Harney Thriller book #3) by James Patterson and David Ellis.

This is a new series that I started I believe last year. I am enjoying the twists and turns  throughout the series. All three books have had a surprise that I was not expecting. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started Mad Honey by Jodi Piccoult.  She is a relatively new author for me so not sure what to expect.  It is highly rated on Goodreads.  LM

This was an excellent book.  I don't want to give it away.  Check out the storyline on Goodreads.  It is described as 'soul stirring' and it is all that.  I recommend.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Too Hot To Handle by Tessa Bailey, boy what a sex packed book, it had me blushing from beginning to end, but the storyline was good!

Esteemed Contributor

"Rock Paper Scissors" by Alice Feeney. 

Adam and Amelia Wright win a trip to renovated bed and breakfast in the Scottish highlands. 

Adam is a writer who has face blindness, unable to recognize people, and their marriage has been in trouble for awhile. Every year they've been exchanging gifts appropriate to how long they were married, and things haven't been working out. Maybe taking a trip will help them restore what's left of their relationship. 

The trip doesn't go as planned. Strange events occur and it looks like someone might not want them to ever leave.

This was interesting. The book had many twists; just when I thought I figured it out, something else would take it in another direction. Had a surprise ending. I'll be reading more books by this author. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Murder In A Cape Cottage by Maddie Day this was a cozy murder mystery, I enjoyed this book!  It starts out that a couple are renovating his home, after they knock down a wall the female shines a  flashlight into what appears to be a hidden room and the light shines on a corpse sitting in a chair with her hands chained behind her and bolted to the wall, that  in itself is disturbing but on a closer inspection it is a woman wearing a wedding dress, this where the story twist and turns until the killer is revealed!

Honored Contributor

I'm about six chapters into Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson. He really knows how to reel you in in just a few sentences and keep you hooked. 

The main character is a book seller and an FBI agent approaches him about his blog post entitled "Eight Perfect Murders" where he lists the best murder mystery novels because apparently someone is using that list and murdering people in he same vein as the novels.

I'm liking all the references to Christie, Rendell, etc in this meta-textual novel. The narrator is super and he's read a few other of Swanson's novels if you like audiobooks.

Honored Contributor

This book may not be the best choice for right now --- with the holidays and all, as its not cheerful and fun -- but I just finished it and found it very meaningful and worth listing:

The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz - Jeremy Dronfield

This is about a father and son who had such a strong bond, that when the father was being sent to Auschwitz, the son went also, so he could be with his father.  This is a true story and basically started as a result of the small journal which the father made little entries in whenever he could while being in various concentration camps.  The writer has done tremendous research and has listed many sources of his information at the end of the book.

As I said, if you are looking for something light and fun, this is not for you.  I knew this was a terrible, terrible period in history, but I had no idea just how absolutely horrific it truly was until I read this.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin