Esteemed Contributor

@kdgn

I saw that you started a thread a couple of years ago about Vince Flynn and his untimely passing. I read all of his Mitch Rapp books back to back. I just ordered The Survivor, the next in his series, started by Vince, finished by another. Have you read it? It has great reviews on Amazon.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

Re: Mitch Rapp Series

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack. I did read it & while it was good & many, many readers/reviewers just loved it, i didn't love it like when Vince Flynn wrote the "Mitch Rapp" series.  

The author selected to continue the series, Kyle Mills, just quite didn't do it for me w/Rapp.  I had previously read one of his books & "The Survivors" seems a lot more his style of story than Vince.  Perhaps there was little Vince left of the new book.

I will give the next one a try & if I feel the same, I'll let Mitch continue his adventures w/out me.  This happened to me when Robert B. Parker died also.  I do read  2 new books w/the new author to decide whether to continue.

where you also love the series, please do let me know what you think of the latest!

happy reading!

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Esteemed Contributor

@3cupcakesthank you so much for your insights! I am excited for it to arrive in a couple of days. I have also purchased, but not read, the fourth book in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. I hope that series turns out OK. I was a huge fan of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Outlander is one of my top three books of all time. By the time the author got to the seventh book, I found myself forcing myself to slog through it, so gave up. Dang! Same thing happened to me with the Clan of the Cave Bear series. Have you found the same can hold true even when it is the original author continuing to write?

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack

I loved those Mitch Rapp/Vince Flynn-written books.  Did you feel as if the world could have been a better place if there were more Mitch Rapps around?

Now I'm inspired to check out the new ones.

I have all the Robert B. Parker books, too, @3cupcakes  Great stories.   I especially loved Hawk and Pearl the wonder dog. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach,

YES! I wish we had some Mitch Rapps protecting us right now! I would feel a lot safer. Funny thing, we probably do, and they have to operate in the secret government!

Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack. Yes, I also have thrown in the towel w/a few series that I once devoured!  Clive Clussler & the "Stephanie Plum" series by Janet Evanovitch are two that immediately come to mind.

There came a point w/both these series that I just didn't care who did what &, as you also experienced, the slogging began.

i have a neighbor who was an elementary school teacher....a terrific one.....she always told her first grade students, there are no book police & no one says you have to finish a book you really aren't interested in or don't like.  Have a look for new one you enjoy.

well, hearing this was something I embraced!  now, many years later, I happily tell myself to just move on.  🙂

i just finished "Mrs. Sinclair's Suitcase", which I really enjoyed & just started the new Isobel Allende book, The Japanese Lover".

hope you will enjoy all your new books!  happy reading!

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach.  Ooooow, didn't you always find yourself hungry half way thru one of Parker's "Spenser" novels!! He was always preparing some meal that sounded fantastic.  Even Pearl loved them!  😋

this was one of the things I really missed when Ace Atkins took over the series.....no food!

& Hawk.....what can I say except "what a guy!"  Sigh.....

i live in in the area where many of the Spenser books are set & it was half the fun to try to figure out exactly which place Parker was writing about.

i miss him......

May I ask what are you reading now?

Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack@GingerPeach

i do think we have some real life Mitch Rapps.......I don't need to know what they do or how they do it.

I just feel certain that they are there & am grateful to them.....I bet there might be a few Michelle Rapps too.  😉

Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes

It's the oddest thing.  I thought once I retired, I'd be reading all the time, but since I am no longer commuting, I am not sitting down in one place for an uninterrupted period of time.  And my Kindle, which was so great on the train, is less appealing than a "real" book at home.

So . . . I am watching more tv than reading, but am checking this forum a lot for ideas.

Overall, I'm a fan of series books about intelligent characters.  I have liked some of the Nora Roberts books, especially her trilogies that are set in Ireland.

Thomas Perry had a good series about a person helping others gain new identities.  And Sharon Duncan (a former professor of linguistics) had a very short series about a female private eye living on the San Juan Islands near Seattle.  

I used to read a lot of Stephen White, Dean Koontz, Sue Grafton, Lee Child, Michael Palmer, Jonathan Kellerman, James Rollins.

I used to also read the John Lescroart books about the lawyer Dismas Hardy.  They're all set in San Francisco (which is where I used to commute to).

By the way, I love Boston.  I've been there only a few times but I think  I left my heart in Boston!

Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

@MaggieMack@GingerPeach

i do think we have some real life Mitch Rapps.......I don't need to know what they do or how they do it.

I just feel certain that they are there & am grateful to them.....I bet there might be a few Michelle Rapps too.  😉

Michelle Rapps.  Great point, @3cupcakes

Like you, I don't need to know exactly what they are doing either.