Valued Contributor

My homepage has a reference to the Nazi Gold Train, and this mention reminded me of a book I have read.

Love and Treasure  by Ayelet Waldman 

In 1945 on the outskirts of Salzburg, victorious American soldiers capture a train filled with unspeakable riches: piles of fine gold watches; mountains of fur coats; crates filled with wedding rings, silver picture frames, family heirlooms, and Shabbat candlesticks passed down through generations. Jack Wiseman, a tough, smart New York Jew, is the lieutenant charged with guarding this treasure—a responsibility that grows more complicated when he meets Ilona, a fierce, beautiful Hungarian who has lost everything in the ravages of the Holocaust. Seventy years later, amid the shadowy world of art dealers who profit off the sins of previous generations, Jack gives a necklace to his granddaughter, Natalie Stein, and charges her with searching for an unknown woman—a woman whose portrait and fate come to haunt Natalie, a woman whose secret may help Natalie to understand the guilt her grandfather will take to his grave and to find a way out of the mess she has made of her own life.

I can't remember which reader in our group wanted titles about the Holocaust, but this was a good read.

Honored Contributor

OP this book sounds interesting but for some reason books or movies about the Nazis tend to sort of haunt me after I read them.

I did see on MSN where they did not actually find any treasures in that tunnel. Too bad.

My first husband was born in London in 1939 - he was a child of that horror over there. His father was gone to war and his Mother was killed by a german rocket right in front of her children. They were separated and sent off to orphanages in the country by age.The next time they saw each other was 1945 when their father came home. Dad put my husband in an apprenticeship when he was 7 and he never lived with his family again. He and his dad had a very strained relationship forever. He found out as an adult that his Dad was gone off to the war for over a year when he was born and it wasn't until his dad came home that he found out he had a second son. OOPS Mom.