Respected Contributor

Re: May 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

My first book of May is finished.  Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng.  Really enjoyed this one.

Valued Contributor

I just finished Good Night Irene by Luis Alberto Urrea

It takes place in WWII and is about American Red Cross women volunteers who run the mobile coffee/donut trucks in England and Europe.  They actually were on the front lines and the story is incredible.  His writing made you feel like you were right there - you could sense the tension and fear during the worst parts of the war.

I highly recommend it.

Valued Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@icezeus "First Lie Wins" by Ashley Elston (I have started reading her other books & really like them.)

"Bones And All" by Camille DeAngelis. We were looking for something to watch last week & ended up watching the movie. Very different kind of story. So I looked up the book & read that. It's a short, fast read.

I just finished listening to John Stamos "If You Would Have Told Me". I didn't really have an opinion on John Stamos but his book was well done. I feel like he was very honest. 

I Loved First Lie Wins 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to DARLING GIRLS by Sally Hepworth.  Although I was drawn into the story and legitimately didn't see the twists in it, I still thought the conclusion was just sort of "ok".

Will be traveling the next week, so not sure what I'm reading yet!

Respected Contributor

I am currently reading Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain.  I am about 1/3 through and find it slow going.  I feel the urge to PTB but am sticking with it because the author is a good one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

I am currently reading Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain.  I am about 1/3 through and find it slow going.  I feel the urge to PTB but am sticking with it because the author is a good one.

@Lilysmom1 

I read a few of her books a long time ago.  I have this one in ebook and haven't been in the mood to read it yet.  I like the timeline of the 60s.  I'd rather read in print but I'll get arond to reading it.  So many readers loved it on my FB book groups

Super Contributor

Finished The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan yesterday. Story unpacks individual experiences in small Irish town after financial collapse, in their own voices, by chapter.

Started listening to West by Carys Davies.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Lilysmom1 

I read a few of her books a long time ago.  I have this one in ebook and haven't been in the mood to read it yet.  I like the timeline of the 60s.  I'd rather read in print but I'll get arond to reading it.  So many readers loved it on my FB book groups

@SWEET thank you for your feedback.  I will stay with it.  I have the feeling it is about to pick up.  

Super Contributor

This sounds like a good book @catmama 

I read The Devil's Highway: A True Story by Urrea a few years ago. He's an excellent and engaging writer. Thank you for the post.

@catmama wrote:

I just finished Good Night Irene by Luis Alberto Urrea

It takes place in WWII and is about American Red Cross women volunteers who run the mobile coffee/donut trucks in England and Europe.  They actually were on the front lines and the story is incredible.  His writing made you feel like you were right there - you could sense the tension and fear during the worst parts of the war.

I highly recommend it.

Super Contributor

Finished West by Carys Davies today. The story of a settler and widowed father striking out from his small Pennsylvania farm westward. He is in search of a large beast beyond the Mississippi River after reading about ancient bones discovered and influenced by accounts of Lewis and Clark travels west.

Based on the storyline description, I was dubious to even start the less than 200 page book. But, I'm waiting for Carys Davies book Clear from my library holds and wanted a taste of her style.

Needless to say, I enjoyed the writing and journey very much to my surprise. The audiobook took me back easily to the 19th century on the westward journey and his daughter's plight on the farm waiting for his return.