Esteemed Contributor

May 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

We have made it to the month of May. This month we honor and remember those who have paid the ultimate price in our military.

Happy reading to all and please share your likes and dislikes for the month. 

I am currently reading Piece of my heart by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke. 

Respected Contributor

Re: May 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@icezeus "First Lie Wins" by Ashley Elston (I have started reading her other books & really like them.)

"Bones And All" by Camille DeAngelis. We were looking for something to watch last week & ended up watching the movie. Very different kind of story. So I looked up the book & read that. It's a short, fast read.

I just finished listening to John Stamos "If You Would Have Told Me". I didn't really have an opinion on John Stamos but his book was well done. I feel like he was very honest. 

Esteemed Contributor

Decided to finish every single book by John Grisham once and for all.  Then we can get a divorce.

"Gray Mountain" had the absolutely most stunning ending.  I kept poking my Paperwhite to see the device was broken.

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished The Wild One by Fern Michaels.  This is a new book and not part of a series.  I'll say it was just ok, not great and not bad.  The main character is a woman who becomes an agent with the government in Washington DC.  Nothing much happens for a lot of this book and that frustrated me.  It was better when there was some action.  There was potential there, but it could have been much better.  You don't need to hurry to read this one.

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining I just borrowed it from the library.

I will read it next.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The House Maid, by Freida McFadden.  I just finished this book this morning and while I strongly suspected who the evil person was I was not expecting that someone stumbled upon a new career under the disguise of a Housemaid.  Good book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just finished what was my favorite read so far this year, The Lost Book of Eleanor Dare by Kimberly Brock. I love reading about my ancestors so this one really was interesting for me. "What happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke remains a mystery, but the women who descended from Eleanor Dare have long known the truth lies in what she left behind: a message carved into a large stone and the contents of her treasured commonplace book."

Super Contributor

Finished listening to The Queen of Dirt Island by Donal Ryan last evening. Multi-generational female dominated Irish family drama set in rural Tipperary. Especially enjoyed the Nana (grandmother) character. 

The novel was constructed in very short vignette chapters providing various slices of life among the characters. The author weaved these along the storyline aptly.

Concurrently, I'm reading Donal Ryan's Spinning Heart. I tend to have an audiobook and physical book going, but rarely by the same author. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Still Raining I just borrowed it from the library.

I will read it next.

Hope you like it.  This one stays with you, humanizes an ongoing current event.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining 

So that made me chuckle. I have definitely had to divorce several authors over the years. Sometimes, years later we may have a slight reconciliation but usually it's over when I say it's over. LOL